View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Questions before buying RobotC 
Rookie

Post Questions before buying RobotC
I installed the trial version of RobotC a couple of days ago, and I really like it. I'm ready to lay down the cash to get a license, but have a couple of questions...

1. When I hit the "F1" key for help, I get an error message "Failed to launch help." Did I not install something, or is it not available in the trial version? Does it work after registering, or will it work in the future.

(Ok, I guess thats more than 2 questions already :oops: )

2. I have read that there is a limited number of activations. This is a concern because I usually do a clean install of Windows every year or so. I don't know how many times it can be activated, but if I were to go over the limit, will there be a way to get more? I understand the need to prevent software piracy, but I don't want to spend money and then lock myself out down the road.

Thanks,
Larry

Mon May 07, 2007 11:28 pm

It looks like the help file is not part of the program yet. I tried it on my purchased version and it fails also.

The best way to get info for RobotC is to double click on the different names in the Code Templates Window on the left of the program. It will give you a window with brief descriptions that are really helpful.

You can also go to http://www-education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/rob ... index.html
and there is a nice training guide for getting the basics.

As for the license activation, your going to have to wait for someone else to reply.

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Mon May 14, 2007 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I had only noticed that rolling over the functions would give me a brief discription/explanation, but had not figured out that double clicking on them would give more detail. This will help a lot.

I've already checked out the online tutorials. These were a great place to start, but I need more.

I checked out your projects on your web space (in your sig) I like the charging station idea.

Thanks again,
Larry

Mon May 14, 2007 3:44 am
Creator
Creator

Post Re: Questions before buying RobotC
Yes. There is a limited number of license activations. If you re-install on the same computer with identical hardware then this should only count as one license activation. The licensing software looks at the computer hardware -- but not the Pentium serial number -- to generate a 32-bit hardware identifier that is stored with each license activation. If you activate a subsequent time with the same 32-bit identifier, it does not increment the license activation count.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 am
Creator
Creator

Post Re: Questions before buying RobotC
THere is a much improved Help file in version 1.40 and above.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]