View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Which setting to use for Lego Sonar sensor? Sonar9V or Sonar 
Novice

Post Which setting to use for Lego Sonar sensor? Sonar9V or Sonar
Hi All,

I notice in the 'Motors and sensors setup' Wizard we have two settings for Sonar. One is straight 'Sonar' and the other is 'Sonar9V'. Some people seem to be using the 9volt version for what I assume are standard lego sonar sensors. I know both work but has anyone found an advantage or reason you'd use one setting over the other? Will you damage a lego sensor over time using the 9V version?

Thanks
James

Sun May 13, 2007 2:05 am
Creator
Creator

The "9V" option is used to provide either 5V or 9V on one of the output pins on a sensor. The value of this pin is used to power the speaker on the ultrasonic sensor. Presumably the 9V setting will provide a stronger (louder) ultrasonic output which I presume will give better sensor performance in environments where there is weaker sound reflection off the target device.

As far as I know, using 9V willnot damage the sensor. If it would cause damage, then you'd think the design would have connected the speakers to another of the sensor output pins that is always 5V so that was not a 5V option.

The schematic for the ultrasonic sensor is included in the SDK (Software Development Kit) for the NXT that is downloadable from the LEGO site. I couldn't find any information within the SDK that indicates whether 5V or 9V is the preferred option.

Sun May 13, 2007 3:42 am
Rookie

The LEGO US sensor is far to be accurate, I shall try the IR sensor from HT!!!

Sun May 13, 2007 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]