View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
RobotC NXT Firmware and Fantom USB Connectivity 
Rookie

Post RobotC NXT Firmware and Fantom USB Connectivity
Just installed the latest RobotC 2.x beta and updated the firmware on my NXT via RobotC. Sample programs and IDE are working as expected.

Problem is, fantom.dll v1.1.3 (using it via unmanaged calls in .NET) cannot talk to the NXT anymore, ie, NXT Iterator fails to find an NXT via USB. Pre RobotC firmware, this worked (and still works if I connect a stock firmware NXT).

I read in other posts that RobotC uses fantom in some form (looking at the install directory, v1.1.1 of fantom.dll resides there). I shut down the RobotC IDE in case it had some exclusive lock etc and was preventing calls to it. No difference.

Is this a known issue or even an issue of any importance or did I miss something obvious ?

Background to the project is this. Using .NET 4.0 to control multiple NXTs via USB. With the HiTechnic IR link, I was going to control PF receivers/motors. HiTechnic support directed me to the RobotC drivers and LEGO's PF SDK/dev doco as a guide. In conjunction with that and looking at the lejos source code (which supports IR Link), I was fashioning up fantom calls via LowSpeedWrite direct command (which might be wrong to start with) against an input sensor port set to LowSpeed (0x0A) or (0x0B). Given the depth of errors/mistakes I could make via this approach, I was hoping to save my sanity (at the low cost of $75 for license, which is very reasonable) by using a RobotC program to do the PF calls, from which I control by sending messages to the NXT (via MessageWrite 0x09 direct command), which I read / use as input for my RobotC program running on the NXT. But as mentioned above, this breaks down via the fact the RobotC-enabled NXT firmware isn't recognized by fantom.

I'm also running on the assumption that I cannot RobotC programs on a vanilla firmwire. If this is wrong, then the whole issue is mute, but would be nice to solve anyway :)

I could use BT from the host PC to talk to the NXT (leveraging the work done in NXT.NET), but this would render one NXT brick as just a broker for PF comms. Which would be fine, as 4 IR Link sensors * 4 PF channels * 2 motors per channel = 32 PF motors under my control for a single NXT.

Thanks for reading

Mon May 09, 2011 3:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]