View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Trying to Decide which Robotic Platform I Should Buy 
Rookie

Post Trying to Decide which Robotic Platform I Should Buy
I posted a topic asking people for advice between VEX and Tetrix and people were very helpful, but I'd like to hear from people who are using either VEX or Tetrix and give me some unbiased pros and cons about the two platforms.

thanks
John :mrgreen:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm
Expert

Post Re: Trying to Decide which Robotic Platform I Should Buy
I only have Tetrix. I haven't done much with it so far, but here are a couple thoughts.

Pros:
- It is very sturdy and strong.
- It is based on 12v (like most automobiles).
- It is easy to adapt to the Lego technic building system (the parts that come with NXT sets).
- The motors are fairly powerful, and are not exclusive to the Tetrix system (you can buy other motors that should work with Tetrix).
- The servos are standard RC servos.

Cons
- It is inconvenient to have to use so many nuts and bolts to assemble even a simple robot.
- There is poor support for the controllers in any language but ROBOTC. In order for me to program using NXC, I had to write the drivers from scratch.

I haven't used Tetrix enough to be able to give much more of an open ended opinion, but those are several things I thought of.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:01 am
Profile WWW

I would like to contribute, but I'm confused as to how your current question is different than your previous question. Did you want responses from people who only have one platform?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:13 am
Rookie

Hello. We are on the brink of choosing a platform for what will be a middle school robotics team. We have two mindstorm kits from FLL days in our studio. Should we go tetrix or vex? These kids will be in 7th and 8th grade next year. We have been to several FTC competitions but never to a VEX competition. Does anyone have any advice? It would be nice to hear from someone who has experience with both regarding kids this age. Honestly, I am thinking about what is the most these kids can have fun handling but also has the greatest skill transfers to more advanced platforms later. I have read some of the other threads on this subject but am hoping for a little more info. Thanks very much!!!!

Sat May 26, 2012 10:25 am

This and other threads were created to answer the exact question that you're asking. If they don't answer your question, then can you be a little more specific in what you're asking? What would you like to know that the other threads haven't already touched upon?

Mon May 28, 2012 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]