View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Robot C + Bluetooth Dongle 
Rookie

Post Robot C + Bluetooth Dongle
Is there a bluetooth dongle that can be used with vista? The one I have worked with XP but doesn't work with vista.

Also, I'm trying to communicate with the NXT brick via bluetooth. Are there any example ROBOT C programs out there that'll let you communicate between the PC and the NXT? Something like a program that'll echo back the characters typed into hyper terminal would be great.

Thanks.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The LEGO recommended USB Bluetooth Device Is the Abe UB22S USB Bluetooth Dongle:
http://www.abe-hk.com/english/products/ ... b12-22.htm

I'm not sure about other compatibility with other dongles... but ROBOTC uses the same bluetooth 'Fantom' protocols as NXT-G does... so if it works with NXT-G, it'll work with ROBOTC.

As for PC to NXT communication, ROBOTC does not support communication back to the PC other than the data you retrieve from the debugger. This may change in the future, but is currently a low priority feature.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:27 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Robot C + Bluetooth Dongle
If we could get data back to the PC via bluetooth, I think that would open up many educational applications for RobotC and NXT. Right now Texas Instruments sells several sensors for their TI-83/84 calculators that allow you to gather data for use in math and science classrooms. If we could get data from the NXT in realtime, we could use the NXT for all the labs that the TI community has already dreamed up. To me, this seems like a high priority from a marketing standpoint. Just a thought...

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:53 am
Rookie

Bought a TRUST BT 2400p dongle ( € 18 ) today for WinXp . Installed the 'drivers' -> PC was able to make a link with the brick and the brick found my PC. But with Robot C i couldn't establish a connection !!

Then i found out it was the Toshiba bluetooth stack that came with the dongle. Uninstalled the Toshiba stack and
used the default Windows bluetooth stack instead !

Everything works fine now !

Will try tomorrow on my sons PC ( Vista )

Johan

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:19 pm
Professor

This page on the LEGO Mindstorms site has a compatibility matrix: http://mindstorms.lego.com/overview/Bluetooth.aspx

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:49 pm
Creator
Creator

michael714 wrote:
If we could get data back to the PC via bluetooth, I think that would open up many educational applications for RobotC and NXT. Right now Texas Instruments sells several sensors for their TI-83/84 calculators that allow you to gather data for use in math and science classrooms. If we could get data from the NXT in realtime, we could use the NXT for all the labs that the TI community has already dreamed up. To me, this seems like a high priority from a marketing standpoint. Just a thought...

ROBOTC already has a data logging feature. And commands to upload the datalog stored on the NXT in a EXCEL compatible CSV (comma separated file) file. But I don't think it gets much use.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:28 am
Rookie

on the contrary i have found the data logging functions very useful and i use them all the time. The only issue is putting the data obtained into a usable form but using the ability to specify data point type and using macros in Excel this issue is easily resolved

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]