View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Having issues getting encoder functionality to work 
Rookie

Post Having issues getting encoder functionality to work
This year I decided to start helping at one of local High Schools as a mentor for FTC. Currently the kids are using Labview though one of the other mentors and I would like to get them to convert to using robot c. I decided that to make sure I am able to aid and help as much as possible with their conversion I would look into getting familiar with robot c before doing a workshop with them. I downloaded the trial Virtual Worlds and the betta version of robot c (3.12). I have been going through some of the tutorial though I am stuck on getting motor synchronization and motor travel by distance to work. When I attempt to sync the motors only he motor I specifically say to turn on (Master motor) actually moves and the other motor doesn't move. When attempting to get the motor to move a specific number of revolutions, It will turn on the motor but never stops.

I did notice that in the motors and sensors menu I have the PID check though there is no available check box for encoder (the field is blank as in no checkboxes in the Encoder area at all)

I am guessing that my issues above are probably because the encoder isn't working. Is this a functionality that isn't enabled in the trial version of RobotC? I have attempted to set the platform to all of the NXT platforms under the Lego Mindstorm submenu.

Ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks,

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:31 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Having issues getting encoder functionality to work
Thank you for deciding to mentor, that is awesome and always good to hear about. As far as the encoders not showing up in Motors and Sensors setup, this is because the NXT motors have the encoders built in to them. You don't really have to set them up because ROBOTC knows that if there is a motor attached to port A, there is an encoder attached to port A as well.

The best way we'll be able to help you with the other issues is if you post the code in question (using code tags) so we can take a look at it. Hope this helps!

John

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]