View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
more than 1 source file needed to be opened 
Guru

Post more than 1 source file needed to be opened
@developers:
often I need more than 1 source file to open and edit in RobotC (similar to Briccx or MS Word, where you can open several different docs).

One should be able to switch from one opened file to another via View/Window menu or by [ctrl][TAB].

This is needed for edit, compare, copy, and paste code from 1 file to another.

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:28 am
Rookie

I'm using V1.17Beta and I can open multiple pages at the same time which may help you - I'm just clicking on the program shortcut again.

However, I fully agree that a tab or window dropdown menu system would be really useful - save lots of clutter!

Cheers,

Oli

Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The multi-tab system has been considered, but has never been implemented because of the difficulty a tab system causes for beginner users... it is very easy to get confused with the program you have opened when there are multiple tabs and instances of various programs opened.

Thank you for the feedback.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:07 am
Guru

The multi-tab system has been considered, but has never been implemented because of the difficulty a tab system causes for beginner users... it is very easy to get confused with the program you have opened when there are multiple tabs and instances of various programs opened.

???
Just the file "in front" is the active window and thus the active program to be compiled!
What is confusing here??
In Borland Turbo Pascal/ Turbo C and even NQC, and in WORD and EXCEL you got this feature, all are suitable for beginners and for didactic use!

float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 am
Rookie

Post Just have the default # of Tabs setting be 1
And let beginning users stay at that setting, if they choose. But do make Multi-Tabs available as an option setting.

And I agree, that 'the one presently in front is active' is pretty obvious. Especially since Tabs are now ubiquitous, thanks to Microsoft.

Fri May 02, 2008 7:56 pm
Expert

Post multitabs
Multiple tabs are fancy, but in case of RobotC I can have only one target brick (usually). Yes I can have a bigger program consisting of a main file and a number of includes -- in which case the includes are simply opened by notepad++ and switched quickly to foreground for a second by alt/tab if needed.

Instead of adding fancy features to the gui I would be more happy to add more development resources on quick(er) bugfixes but (having spent years in sw maintenance) I also try to be patient.

Tue May 06, 2008 11:57 pm
Guru

Indeed, I don't think it's fancy .
I often am using header files , e.g.
#include "math+.h"
#include "RobotC+.h"
#include "navigator.h"

and it's very pedantically to close the main file, open a header file (to look for a variable definition or function interface, to copy a struccture for pasting it into the mainfile, ....), closing the file, opening the next one if you hadn't found it, closing it again, re-opening the first or another one and so on. :roll:

That's actually why... :wink:

Wed May 07, 2008 6:08 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will honestly say to not expect this feature any time soon.

As for the issue you bring up, you can swap between includes and source in ROBOTC pretty easily:

Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 am
Guru

Thank you!

Fri May 09, 2008 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]