View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Bluetooth 
Novice

Post Bluetooth
Does anyone know how to work with the Bluetooth in "raw mode"? What does it do? What benefits does it offer? If we need high-speed communication, will this perform sufficiently? When I tried to work with Bluetooth last time -- with a robot "car" project -- there was a major delay between when a message was sent from the controller NXT (based on touch sensor values) and when it was received by the driving NXT.

Thanks.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Bluetooth
When in "raw mode" the LEGO defined higher level protocol (i.e. Fantom messages) is disabled and the application program can directly 'read' and 'write' bytes over an existing Bluetooth connection. This means that the user has complete control over the bytes being sent over Bluetooth, which allows the NXT to theoretically connect to a wider range of devices. Normally, though, it won't increase speed by a large amount because the speed is generally determined by the chipset, not the driver itself. Effective coding (whether using normal mode or raw mode) can help reduce latency as well.

We have the full listing of NXT Bluetooth commands available for ROBOTC on our wiki, here.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm
Novice

Post Re: Bluetooth
Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply, and yes, I had spent some time poring over the RobotC wiki documentation. I think my favorite, by far, was the comment for this function...
Code:
cCmdBTPurgeRcvBuffer();  // purge the buffer!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]