View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
NXT2WiFi and uploading new webpages 
Novice

Post NXT2WiFi and uploading new webpages
I am using Xander's new driver suite and the new beta version of Robotc. I was able to use the benedetelli-nxt2wifi-config.c test program as is to connect to the NXT2WiFi sensor. I confirmed this by displaying the current index.htm page. The webpages converter tool cannot find the NXT2WiFi sensor to upload the new bin image. I tried changing the following gateway to what it is for the laptop:
Code:
string ipaddress = "192.168.0.55";
string netmask = "255.255.255.0";
string DNS1 = "192.168.0.1";
string DNS2 = "192.168.0.2";
string gateway = "192.168.0.1";

The gateway setting on my laptop is set to: 192.168.1.254 That also did not help.

I did change these two settings to match my wireless access point's settings:
Code:
string ssid = "YOURSSID";
char *passphrase = "YOURPASSWORD";

Is there something I am missing?

Mike,

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 am

Post Re: NXT2WiFi and uploading new webpages
Is there a reason you are not using DHCP? Alternatively, download Termite, a terminal program, hook up the NXT2WIFI, setup the COM port as 115200 8N1 and tell me what you see :)

Does running benedetelli-nxt2wifi-setup.c work for you? Do you see an ADHOC network called NXT2WIFI after you run that?

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Novice

Thank you Xander for help stearing me in the right direction. Here are the steps that I used to setup the NXT2WiFi sensor so that I could upload webpage changes using the webpage converter tool.
Compile and download the "benedettelli-nxt2wifi-setup.c" program to setup the NXT2WiFi sensor to become an adhoc access point.
Open the "Open Network and Sharing Center" on the laptop and connect to the NXT2WiFi sensor/access point listed
Note, that when you connect to the NXT2WiFi sensor this way you are not connected to the Internet anymore. When I use the benedetelli-nxt2wifi-config.c program to connect the NXT2WiFi sensor to connect to the home wireless access point. Even though I could access the NXT2WiFi sensor through the laptop the webpage converter tool could not.

Xander can you add a few notes to the "benedettelli-nxt2wifi-setup.c" program file about how to use the program so that the user can use the webpage converter tool? Unless there is a way to setup the NXT2WiFi sensor so that it can be connected to a wireless network and the webpage converter tool to find its way through the network from the laptop to the NXT2WiFi?

Mike

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 pm

I had a similar issue when I had my NXT2WIFI connected to the AP. I do have bad reception in my LEGO Lair and it ended up taking a few tries. Once I had it connected via AdHoc, everything worked OK and in one shot. I have no idea why that is.

I will add something in the program about it.

= Xander

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Expert

Could you explain what a "DHCP" is?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol that is used to configure network devices so that they can communicate on an IP network. A DHCP client uses the DHCP protocol to acquire configuration information, such as an IP address, a default route and one or more DNS server addresses from a DHCP server. The DHCP client then uses this information to configure its host. Once the configuration process is complete, the host is able to communicate on the internet.

More info here: http://bit.ly/xxKGI4

= Xander

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

mightor wrote:
Quote:
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol that is used to configure network devices so that they can communicate on an IP network. A DHCP client uses the DHCP protocol to acquire configuration information, such as an IP address, a default route and one or more DNS server addresses from a DHCP server. The DHCP client then uses this information to configure its host. Once the configuration process is complete, the host is able to communicate on the internet.

More info here: http://bit.ly/xxKGI4

= Xander

Some devices on my network have static IPs as it avoids certain problems e.g. servers are best on a static IP so they are always in the same place as far as other devices are concerned. Other devices I leave on DHCP as it is more flexible. Is there a benefit to using DHCP rather than a static IP for the purposes of robotics or robotC?

Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 am

MikeJMcFarlane wrote:
Some devices on my network have static IPs as it avoids certain problems e.g. servers are best on a static IP so they are always in the same place as far as other devices are concerned. Other devices I leave on DHCP as it is more flexible. Is there a benefit to using DHCP rather than a static IP for the purposes of robotics or robotC?

I use static DHCP leases, so the robots always get the same IP address but it keeps my code simple and I can manage them from the router, not the code.

= Xander

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

mightor wrote:
MikeJMcFarlane wrote:

I use static DHCP leases, so the robots always get the same IP address but it keeps my code simple and I can manage them from the router, not the code.

= Xander

Understood, thanks.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 am
Expert

Thanks for answering my Q! :bigthumb:

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]