View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Teaching Tips 
Rookie

Post Teaching Tips
Hi,

I am a high school student and will be running a lunchtime robotics club where we plan to use RobotC virtual worlds alongside 2 real robots to teach 13-16 year old students through the RobotC curriculum.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this, what works and what doesn't,

Thanks.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Post Re: Teaching Tips
Senior Project? If so, great idea.

First thing you want to do is handle your logistics. Make sure you have everything organized. Are you going to give the students headphones to watch the videos? Do all the computers work consistently? Make sure you have those things taken care of. Next, figure out what you are going to do for the students that accelerate quickly and the ones that take some time with acquisition. RVW is a great way to handle this, so you are on your way. Last, make sure it is fun. Give them a reason to come back.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:14 am
Rookie

Thanks parkway for those tips. (This is something I am just running because I love robotics and want it to become established in my school).

What are the resources that are associated with the RobotC curriculum?

The ones I know about are the robotC software and RVW level packs and the teaching guide available from the robotC website. Also the cs2n site and the program it has.

Are there any other resources for the RobotC curriculum?
And out of the above ones, do they work well together, which are the most helpful?

Thanks

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 pm

I have a number of tutorials on my site: http://botbench.com/blog/category/tutorials/

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am
Profile WWW

CodaCoda wrote:
Thanks parkway for those tips. (This is something I am just running because I love robotics and want it to become established in my school).

What are the resources that are associated with the RobotC curriculum?

The ones I know about are the robotC software and RVW level packs and the teaching guide available from the robotC website. Also the cs2n site and the program it has.

Are there any other resources for the RobotC curriculum?
And out of the above ones, do they work well together, which are the most helpful?

Thanks

The teaching guide will be all that you need right now. You can create a CS2N account (if you don't already have one) and also create accounts for your students. The you can create a group in CS2N and use it to track your students' progress. You can look here to see how to create a group:

http://www.cs2n.org/teachers/groups

The nice thing about creating a group in CS2N is that if allows the students to work at their own pace (meaning no one gets bored or frustrated) and it gives you a way to track everyone's progress.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:28 pm
Rookie

Thanks parkway, I think that the cs2n groups feature will be very useful alongside everything else.

When I go to that page it says that only "beta-testers" and "certified" teachers (on the online training programme) are permitted to make groups. We're starting our teaching in about a week and I am still quite confused about how to become certified after looking at the cs2n website and receiving little help from when I have tried to contact them.

Do you know if/how it is possible to become "certified" quickly?

Thanks

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 am

You can try contacting them http://www.cs2n.org/support/contact

Or, if you don't want to create a group, you can just track their progress through the badges they receive.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]