View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
BT...again... 
Rookie

Post BT...again...
It's me again...

Another question about bluetooth. I'm trying to connect the NXT to a phone, but the phone (Nokia 6630) don't have SPP, and I don't think there's a way to hack it. The NXT can see the phone, but obviously can't connect. Is there a way for a program in RobotC to still read the signal strength of the phone's BT signal without being connected? I thought maybe its possible as the two devices can still see each other...

Andy.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was sad when I tried to communicate directly to my iPhone as well...

From the help documentation:

Quote:
Bluetooth (BT) is an industry standard short-distance (up to 10 meters) wireless communications protocol operating at 2.4 GHz. It can optionally use a higher power transmission to achieve distances up to 100 meters. The NXT utilizes the 10 meter option.

BT includes not only the low-level radio transmission (at 2.5 GHz) but also several higher layer message protocols (or profiles) designed for different applications. There are over 25 different BT profiles currently defined. Some of the more popular profiles include:

- The Serial Port Profile (SPP) is used to provide wireless emulation of a conventional RS-232 serial communications cable. This is the only protocol supported on the NXT.
- The Human Interface Device (HID) protocol is used for communication on wireless keyboards and mice. It is also used on some game controllers like the Nintendo Wii or SONY Playstation 3.
- The Headset Profile (HSP) is used to connect wireless headsets to devices like cellphones.

In order to connect two devices via BT, the devices must not only support BT but also support the type of profile that will be used for the connection. The NXT only supports the SPP so that it cannot, for example, directly connect to a Nintendo or Sony game controller.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]