View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Robot C++ 
Rookie

Post Robot C++
What would be the chances of getting some very basic C++ functionality implemented in RobotC? While the more advanced features like templates and overloaded operators would be nice, I would be ecstatic just to have any of the following:

forward declare structs! ( not a C++ vs. C feature, but would be very nice to have )
declare member functions inside of structs which have a this pointer implicitly passed in
public and private keywords for member variables and functions of structs
inheritance
virtual functions ( this is pushing it a bit I know )

I am a C++ game programmer by trade and I am new to the NXT and RobotC ( I previously owned the robotics invention system ages ago ). Many years ago, I remember working on large projects in C but these days I cannot imagine how we managed to write all of that C code and still end up with software that actually worked. I am still evaluating RobotC and I have to say that I am impressed initially and considering purchasing it. I still have a few concerns about it though. I've already encountered a number of bugs which I hope will be fixed ( I will report these as I continue to encounter them ). Forward declaration of structs would be awesome. C++ like features as mentioned above are not necessary but would be extremely helpful to me. Thanks!

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:00 pm
Creator
Creator

Post Re: Robot C++
Forward declarations of "struct" has been added for next release.

The other C++ capabilities are unlikely. I took a crack at implementing a similar subset to what you've described a few years ago and decided it was simply a little too complex to get reliably done.

And it was also taking a lot of memory to implement. Not that big a deal for NXT platform, but ROBOTC runs on five platforms many of which have significantly less RAM and Flash than the NXT.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]