View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
NXT USB communications 
Rookie

Post NXT USB communications
Hi,

I'm having problems with basic USB debugging functionality with RobotC and a known-good NXT brick.

I successfully used the same NXT earlier this year with an earlier version of RobotC on Windows XP sp2. Since then I've moved to XP sp3 and saw the RobotC 1.40 and 1.44BETA1 releases. The newer versions have improved bluetooth capability so I want to get those going. After removing the 1.10 and 1.14 installations I installed the updated NXT driver (updated for sp3) and then RobotC 1.40.

Afterwards, the NXT brick is correctly detected by XPsp3 and I can dowload the new firmware to the device. I can even compile and download a program. But when the debugger comes up, I consistently get this error dialogue box:
----------------------------------------------
USB link to NXT brick has failed. Brick may have automatically
powered off.

Close this window. Simply powering brick back on should recover.
Re-open the window

The NXT batteries are good and does not power off or give any power warnings. The NXT is still responsive to button presses for a while after that error, but minutes later is unresponsive. I know the firmware and my user program got downloaded because the firmware version is shown and my program can be run via the NXT's buttons.

Something is happening when attempting to bring up the debugger.

What's going on here? Any ideas? I've unsuccessfully tried reverting to old software versions (incl. driver) but no combination works anymore. The new software has reduced my NXT debugging capability to zero.

Marc

Attachments:
File comment: Error I'm receiving with XPsp3 and 'updated' NXT driver and also 1.40 and 1.44BETA1
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg [ 12.45 KiB | Viewed 3444 times ]
Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: NXT USB communications
Can you check to make sure that the NXT is being recognized by Windows? You can do this by going to the "Device Manager" under "LEGO Devices"

Can you also check to see if your NXT has a "USB" logo on the top if it? This will confirm a proper USB connection.

I'd also recommend you uninstall all of your NXT drivers, and then install the SP3 driver on the ROBOTC.net website. Just simply installing the new one over the old one may cause issues.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:59 pm
Creator
Creator

Also check the little icon for USB in the top line NXT LCD status display. When everything is good it should be indicating "USB".

If you're still having problems, post again and I'll give you instructions on enabling some of ROBOTC's internal trace messages that will indicate the exact error message and allow for an easier diagnosis. You'll probably get a faster reply if you send directly to my email at dickswan@sbcglobal.net

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:25 pm
Creator
Creator

comperem wrote:
I consistently get this error dialogue box:
"USB link to NXT brick has failed. Brick may have automatically powered off."

This is also the error message that you will get if you try to run the ROBOTC debugger using the NXT-G firmware. Please double check that you have downloaded the ROBOTC firmware to your brick.

The error message arises when the ROBOTC IDE sends a message to the NXT and does not receive a reply. This can happen with the NXT-G firmware because it does not respond to the new direct messages that have been added for ROBOTC.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:07 pm
Rookie

Tim,

I removed the RobotC v1.40 and the NXT driver (again), reinstalled the XPsp3 driver from the RobotC.net downloads page, and yes, the NXT is recognized in Windows. The Device manager reports it just like the image you posted. The only thing slightly unexpected was the driver's reported date of 2/8/2006. I found this in the Device Manager | LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Properties | Driver tab as shown below in the attached image.

Also, pursuing that one step further, the "Driver Details" from that tab points to a file named fantom.sys in this directory c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS. fantom.sys has Date Modified date of of 7/29/2008 at 2:09pm.

Not sure if that's all correct or not, but it's what I've got after a fresh driver install. Plugged the NXT brick in and it (again) says USB in the upper left of the NXT's lcd screen. Also, after installing RobotC v1.40 again I get the same error message. Nothing has changed. SW does not work after (3rd) fresh install.

Marc

tfriez wrote:
Can you check to make sure that the NXT is being recognized by Windows? You can do this by going to the "Device Manager" under "LEGO Devices"

Marc

Can you also check to see if your NXT has a "USB" logo on the top if it? This will confirm a proper USB connection.

I'd also recommend you uninstall all of your NXT drivers, and then install the SP3 driver on the ROBOTC.net website. Just simply installing the new one over the old one may cause issues.

Attachments:
File comment: fantom.sys file
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg [ 22.02 KiB | Viewed 3376 times ]
File comment: Driver date screenshot
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg [ 34.93 KiB | Viewed 3378 times ]
Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:39 am
Rookie

Dick,

Yes, I checked this and it appears to be correct. The NXT's lcd shows the little USB text in the upper left.

Marc

Dick Swan wrote:
Also check the little icon for USB in the top line NXT LCD status display. When everything is good it should be indicating "USB".

If you're still having problems, post again and I'll give you instructions on enabling some of ROBOTC's internal trace messages that will indicate the exact error message and allow for an easier diagnosis. You'll probably get a faster reply if you send directly to my email at dickswan@sbcglobal.net

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:53 am
Rookie

Dick,

Ok, well it appears the error also shows up wtih whatever problem I've got. I've downloaded the proper firmware file from the RobotC v1.40 installation. Filename: NXT0753.rfw

Marc

Dick Swan wrote:
comperem wrote:
I consistently get this error dialogue box:
"USB link to NXT brick has failed. Brick may have automatically powered off."

This is also the error message that you will get if you try to run the ROBOTC debugger using the NXT-G firmware. Please double check that you have downloaded the ROBOTC firmware to your brick.

The error message arises when the ROBOTC IDE sends a message to the NXT and does not receive a reply. This can happen with the NXT-G firmware because it does not respond to the new direct messages that have been added for ROBOTC.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]