View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
quality management of bug fixing and support 
Guru

Post quality management of bug fixing and support
hi to all,
to my oppinion the feedback from the developing team to posted problems and bugs is not good enough.

If the developer team wants the bugs to be reported in the bug tracker, the bugs should be resolved in the bug tracker, but they aren't.
The same issue it's to most of those reported here.
For most of my reported bugs there is no resolution in sight, and no feedback is given, neither in the bug tracker, nor in the forums, although some reports have been made up to 5 releases ago.

Neither in the bug tracker nor in this forum a satisfactory communication has been established.

Above this, much too much attention is focussed on the FTC challange, as if there are no common users whose projects come to dead stop because of unresolved bugs.

What is your opinion?
Are support and bug fixing satisfactorily?

(you may give 4 votings)

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:45 pm
Expert

Post Re: quality management of bug fixing and support
Ford Prefect wrote:
to my oppinion the feedback from the developing team to posted problems and bugs is not good enough.

Ford,

I would like to put things in perspective here.
First, you paid $30 for your software. In Germany you can hire a skilled software engineer for about 10 to 15 minutes for this amount of money. I think the robotC developers have spent far more time answering your mails in this forum. In this respect, both the software and the support are excelent quality for money.
Second, we are talking about a toy here. NXT is not used to save lives, our economy nor your marriage. It is intended to give children (small and big) a good time and some experience with robotics. In this respect, the speed of support is amazing, most of the mails in this forum are answered over night.
Third, some of your wishes (dynamic memory allocation for example) might require a (partial) redesign of the firmware and compiler and cannot be implemented easily. In this respect we can be glad that the developers give us alternatives and work-arounds for our problems.

Instead of voting for this poll I'll ask you a question in retun. What are your expectations for the software and support and are these realistic for the amount of money you paid for it?

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I agree, i think the developers are doing a great job. I certainly have appreciated the features they have added over the last year and have greatly appreciated their feedback and assistance. How about we vote to give the developers the computing equivalent of the noble peace prize for all the effort they have put in and for putting up with abusive users :bigthumb:.

Besides if your not happy with RobotC use something else :!: .

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:40 pm
Expert

Let me take the middle of the road position.

1. Most bugs should be fixed ASAP. ASAP means As Soon As Possible. Being an FTC team member does not mean that you pay more than $1000 just to become Pitsco's, Lego's and ect's guinea pig. Thats what the beta testers do without the high cost.

2. It is not nice to escalate the issue on either side.

3. ASAP means when possible. Be patient.

FTC Team #2959 Team Smash Bros CLICK HERE.(or click www)
Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I think a little more communication and feedback could be helpful ;-)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 pm
Rookie

hi,
CC335 wrote:
1. Most bugs should be fixed ASAP. ASAP means As Soon As Possible.

I agree to this.

Severe bugs should be fixed by highest priority, and no new features should be added at all until those bugs have been fixed.

IMHO faulty multiplications / miscalculations and faulty motor commands like reported by F.P. indeed are severe bugs.

To make the state of bug fixing transparent and comprehensible, it should be put down in writing to the bug tracker. It's surely not wise to let them become orphans.

Just my 2ct.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 pm
Expert

Maybe one could remove the complete thread as it is turning sour. Ford, as a thread starter, I think you are entitled to ask one of the administrators to delete this thread. Please do so, before things get worse.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough. I'll apologize.

I'm going to clean this thread up and lock it, as it is becoming somewhat hostile. If you or anyone else has more direct concerns, please contact me or DickSwan directly if you don't feel you're getting your answers/fixes "fast enough."

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]