View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Calculating Rotation using Encoders 
Rookie

Post Calculating Rotation using Encoders
Hi,

1.) I need some info on how to calculate angles using the built-in encoders in the Lego NXT Mindstorms Robot. I've tried all the major search engines but unfortunately nothing came up that was suitable for the beginner roboticist. I'm basically trying to get the robot to turn x degrees but have no idea how to get it to do this. I know I've got to use the encoders to do this but once again I'm clueless as to how to use it. I've managed to get a sample program to display its values on the screen but have no idea what units thats in (Its definitely not degrees).

2.) The NXT comes with a sample program that actually tells you on the screen how many degrees the wheel is turned by when you manually turn a wheel attached to a motor. I can't seem to find the source code for this program anywhere. If anyone could point me in the right direction for that too, it'd be much appreciated (Its not in RobotC's directory of sample codes).

Any links on where to go to get such info or the info itself is much appreciated.

- JD.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:57 pm
Guru

Post Re: Calculating Rotation using Encoders
hi,
have a look at the "project discussions" sub-forum. I posted a code for a navigation robot some months ago with commands for turning among many other things. The only things you have to know is the diameter of the wheels and the length of the axis (track width). The rest is bloody maths.
HTH!

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:07 pm
Rookie

It did help. Thanks a bunch. I've got a new dilemna now though. This ones more logical than technical but would it be possible to get a tribot to move in a circle if it was given just a radius?

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Guru

yes, surely there's a way - everything goes. ;)
I didn't need the code so far, but the diameter of the circle can be calculated through the relation between the driven stretches (speed, arc of circles) of the external (faster) wheel vs. the slower wheel.

Just 2 examples:

if the slower wheel=0 (stop), it's position is the center of the driven circle, and the radius of the driven circle is as large as the axis (track width),
if the slower wheel moves half as fast as the faster one, the radius of the driven circle is twice as large as the axis (track width),
a.s.o.
HTH!

#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;task main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PutPixel(x,y);}}}while(1)}

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 am

Hey JD,

I had a similar issue trying to get my robot to turn an exact 90 degrees without the use of a real compass. So instead I use a digital compass, one that uses the wheels' encoders to calculate how much I've turned. The program which I have attached has a task that keeps track of this. You can then read the value of the position and turn your motor until your target position has been reached. Just read through the code, it is not nearly finished yet, but I am sure you get the gist of it.

You can calculate the degreesPerTurn variable as follows:

distance between the two wheels * 2 * pi
diameter of wheels * pi

you can simplify that to:

distance between the two wheels * 2
diameter of wheels

For a robot with a distance of 15 cm between the two wheels and using the standard 56mm wheels that come with the NXT set, you get:
((150 * 2 ) / 56 ) * 360 ~= 1929

If you have questions regarding my code, let me know.

Regards,
Xander

Edit: although the filename says "linefollower", it's really the skeleton of a maze solving robot.

Attachments:
LineFollower.zip [3.63 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]
Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]