View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Error Downloading Firmware? 
Rookie

Post Error Downloading Firmware?
When trying to download master CPU firmware for the Tumbler bot with the Cortex controller, I continue to get consecutive errors reading, "No USB Cable connection to PC available for VEX Cortex robot," "No communications link to robot available," and "Failed to open Windows communication file '' to with Robot. Ensure correct port is selected! Use 'Properties' in 'View' menu to setup." While there is no 'properties ' tab under view, I found elsewhere that under 'Preferences' in View, the communications port should have several options and be set to USB Cable. I only have one option in the menu visible, "Automatic Selection." Any suggestions on how to create a stable communication? I'm working in Win.7 and have the 7 driver. Thanks!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Error Downloading Firmware?
Hi MrLobster,

We have a set of setup/configuration tutorials found here that should help: http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/pro ... index.html

You'll find them in the Setup > System Configuration section.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 am
Rookie

Thanks for the reply; I was using the tutorials previously, but as I said earlier, I only have one option in the menu visible, "Automatic Selection." No "USB Wired Cable #1" option appears. I made sure I followed all of the directions up to that point correctly, but is there something else I may be possibly missing?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What color are the LED's on the Cortex when you connect it to the computer? Are you being careful to start with the Cortex turned OFF, plug it in over USB, then turn the Cortex on?

To initially install and recognize the Cortex in Windows, you must be an administrator. Do you have administrative rights?

Some other software packages can create a conflict with Windows recognizing the Cortex, such as SmartBoard software. If you have SmartBoard software installed, you may need to disable one of the devices it installs: http://www.robotc.net/support/cortex/sm ... ex_fix.pdf

The other thing that you could try is to download the Master firmware using the VEXnet upgrade utility: http://content.vexrobotics.com/download ... hInstr.zip

Hope that helps!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:44 am
Rookie

FYI
Downloaded & installed the trial RobotC 3.02 24 days ago.
Just received the Robotics package 2 days ago.
Just activated RobotC today.

This is the same error I'm having. With the Cortex power off, & the USB A-A cable attached to both the Cortex & computer. The lights on the Cortex are as follows: ROBOT is flashing 3-4 times a second, VexNET is flashing red & GAME is flashing very fast. When I turn on the power, the lights do not change. The Platform type shows Cortex 2.0.

After registering with this forum, I started the process over. The Cortex lights were ROBOT is flashing 2-3 times a second, VexNET was off & GAME is flashing very fast. At this time, I was able to download the Master CPU Firmware. It appears that Windows 7 64 bit is finicky about the RobotC software. The lights are ROBOT is flashing 2-3 times a second-red, VexNET is solid green & GAME is off. Once the power is turned on the the ROBOT light turns green & flashing. I hope this is normal operation.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]