View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Memory Allocation 
Rookie

Post Memory Allocation
Is it possible to release a chart or some indication of the memory allocation that occurs with ROBOTC firmware?

I am trying to develop a simple-text-language interpreter that can run in the Cortex and I want to know what sections of memory are unused or are allocated to the User Space.
I have done some investigating my self and have found out that the User Space is allocated 12000 bytes of memory but I am unsure where.

Also, memcpy and memset, do they set memory anywhere in the 64Kb of memory or just in the User Space?

Regards
Stefan Andres Charsley

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:23 am

Post Re: Memory Allocation
All memory allocation is static. If you need a large chunk of memory, you should just declare as large an array of ubytes as you need (or can) and use that.

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

memset(pToBuffer, nValue, nNumbOfBytes);
Sets a block of memory at ‘pBuffer’ to the value ‘nValue’. ‘nBytesToSet’ is the number of bytes to set. This is a useful function for initializing the value of an array to all zeros. Identical to the function found in conventional C 'string.h' library.

This function takes a pointer which then is passed to the system.
Now these pointers are just normal pointers to memory are they not?
If you substitute this pointer with a number of the memory segment, does it not work in the same way?
What I'm trying to do is allocate memory using memory addressing and storing that information in a variable map.
I have made a common allocation of 32 bits for every variable but only the required bits will be used. (All unsigned)

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Code:
This function takes a pointer which then is passed to the system.
Now these pointers are just normal pointers to memory are they not?
If you substitute this pointer with a number of the memory segment, does it not work in the same way?
What I'm trying to do is allocate memory using memory addressing and storing that information in a variable map.
I have made a common allocation of 32 bits for every variable but only the required bits will be used. (All unsigned)

These pointers are simply variable names, which are always pointers to memory locations. ROBOTC does not have the concept of pointers like it does in C. That is why I suggested you create a large ubyte array (unsigned byte, or char) and fiddle with that.

Regards,
Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Quote:
I have done some investigating my self and have found out that the User Space is allocated 12000 bytes of memory but I am unsure where.

Also, memcpy and memset, do they set memory anywhere in the 64Kb of memory or just in the User Space?

How much memory is available for Variables anyway? (And how much for programs too?)
I'm having some troubles with getting a two dimensional array of structs to work, though I think it is probably unrelated (Ticket #280936 if some kind person at ROBOTC wants to look at it! :wink: )

Thanks! (sumasmreq)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]