View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Possible to run various autonomous modes from command module 
Rookie

Post Possible to run various autonomous modes from command module
Hey guys. I was hoping that the programming experts can help me with this problem. I wanted to have around 10 separate autonomous modes and command the robot from a separate menu. This means that I don't want to use sensors or jumpers or anything on the robot to initiate the autonomous modes. I want to open up a command prompt or whatever separate menu to tell the robot to do certain autonomous modes. For example, I want to type in "turn left" on a separate window and have that command sent to the cortex and thus have the robot turn left. Is this even possible?

Another way to explain:
1. Download the code with all autonomous modes on it.
2. Robot performs selected autonomous mode without the pressing of sensors or switches on the robot. Rather, from a separate menu or window on the computer when I type in phrases such as "go forward"

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I'll try to clarify if it is confusing.

Thanks for the help!

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Possible to run various autonomous modes from command mo
Unfortunately, you can only run one program on a Cortex at a time; there is actually an ongoing discussion over at the VEX forums of why this is so (http://www.vexforum.com/showthread.php? ... e+programs).

The best way to solve this issue is to create a program that waits for button presses from the VEXNet Joystick, and then decide which function inside of the program to run. Alternatively, you can achieve the same results by hooking up an Xbee or other 3rd party wireless communication device to the Cortex's UART port and sending the serial commands wirelessly from a computer to the Cortex; you would need a USB breakout board for the XBee (or some other way to connect the wireless device to the computer) and a serial terminal window (such as RealTerm) to send the commands.

Out of curiosity, are you hoping to use this for a VEX competition or as a side project?

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]