View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
GPS Receiver - Problem 
Rookie

Post GPS Receiver - Problem
Hello, I am trying to connect a standard GPS receiver, (using Nmea0138 prot.) to a Cortex micro controller. I want it to return information and print it out on the screen. That information will be everything that a standard GPS receiver collects, ie. geo coordinates. I have done A LOT of research. I can't find anything anywhere?! I am wondering if this is possible with the Cortex or the PIC,(preferebly the Cortex)? Worst case scenario, I can do some bitbanging, as I have the Sirf 'bit-manual.' I don't really know how to bit bang with the Cortex either. Any ideas, does anyone have any ideas?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm
Rookie

Post Re: GPS Receiver - Problem
I still need some help with this. Does anyone have any sample source code? One that perhaps can take in raw data from the Cortex via the NMEA 0138 protocol?

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:08 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: GPS Receiver - Problem
This particular project can be a bit complex and is very much dependent upon the specific module being used; however, there are some users who have attempted this already and have documented the process. For instance, there is a thread on the VEX forums that has several great resources you may want to look through. Also, you will need to use the datasheet from the specific GPS sensor (such as this one) to determine which pins control the sensor itself, and connect it to the Cortex accordingly. The best thing I can suggest to do is to read through the links in the VEX forum thread and to check out the UARTPortTest sample program (under the 'Advanced' folder in Cortex's section of the ROBOTC sample programs).

Once you have done that, try to modify the sample code to look for the values used in the NMEA standard (I believe the $ symbol denotes the start of the gps data) and post the modified code using the [code] tags for us to take a look at.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]