View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
How to connect to keyboard. 
Rookie

Post How to connect to keyboard.
I am currently working on a program using a Vex Cortex where I am using a Vexnet remote control to control a tank. Unfortunately I am using my schools equipment and the teacher needs to upgrade the firmware for it to work.

Until my teacher can do that I was wondering if there is any way to use certain keys on my keyboard to act as push buttons. If anyone knows how to do something along these lines could you please leave an example and explanation of the code on how to do this?

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am
Rookie

Post Re: How to connect to keyboard.
Upgrading the firmware on the remote is easy:

Connect the joystick with the usb connecter to the computer
Go to robot(how you get to motors and sensors setup)
Update firmware
Then automaticly update vexnet joystick
A window should appear that updates it for you

VEX 889A and FIRST 3260

Pittsburgh and Buckeye Finalist Ultimate Ascent 2013
Toss Up Champions and Excellence-Pittsburgh
Toss Up Champions-Northwest Maryland VRC

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm
Rookie

Post Re: How to connect to keyboard.
I already tried that before making this thread but after it said it successfully downloaded and I tried compiling and downloading the program it said that the controller was now at version 0.00. I believe this is because of my school's internet controller called iPrism which may have stopped it from actually downloading any files to install as we are not allowed to install new programs on the school's network unless the IT department does so.

After figuring that out I asked my teacher if I could take home the controller and cortex components to do it from my computer's version of ROBOTC but unsurprisingly he didn't let me because of how it is valuable school property. And between how he is helping the other students who I am way ahead of and taking care of the school yearbook which is due soon I'm unwilling to ask him to take the time to do it for us seeing as how the rest of the class doesn't need them yet and still won't for a while. That is why I asked about the keyboard as it may work as an alternative for the time being at least in the testing sense. Plus if I can't use the keyboard or the remote control then I will be forced to edit a copy of my program to work with bump and/or limit switches instead, which will be a pain to set up if I am even willing enough to go through the trouble.

Oh, but thanks for your suggestion anyways, seeing as how I should have clarified this first.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]