View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
I know I don't belong here... 
Rookie

Post I know I don't belong here...
...but I'm hoping someboody smart will take pity on me and help me out!

I am doing 'set design' for a Childrens' Museum fundraiser in Chapel Hill, NC. To make a long story short, part of my overblown concept is to create 'movement' in the decoration. We're using vintage toys as props, among other things.

HERE is what I want to do:

I want a SMALL motor, attached to a battery pack, upon which I can put a turntable (?) to attach a toy to. I would like the toy or prop to spin sloooooowly, and would like the motor and battery pack to be essentially 'invisible'.

Priorities: Small, battery powered, simple, low cost.

I found this online: http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/html ... gdc612.pdf

It is a good price, looks easy to wire a battery pack to it (?) and possibly a small platform on the spindle? Am I even in the right ballpark? I found a 3.0 v battery pack, too. Is THAT what I would need? Can I adjust the RPM so it moves SLOWLY?

I could be way off here, and truthfully I don't know if my 'dream' can even be accomplished? I need to rig at least 20 of them...maybe more.

THANK YOU THANK YOU for any advice, input, or direction you have to offer!!
:D
Laura

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am
Rookie

Post Re: I know I don't belong here...
Yep, you are totally on the wrong forum. The sparkfun forum will be much more helpful for you:
http://forum.sparkfun.com/

There are a thousand approaches to what you want to do, but one is to buy a continuous rotation servo, open it and strip out the electronics and just put battery power to the motor. It would depend on the servo, but you may only need a single AA/C/D battery. If it needs more power then use more batteries. If it's too fast, slow it down with a low value (10-200Ohm) 1/2W (or even 1W) resistor.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:38 pm
Rookie

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'll head over to the other forum you suggested to see if anyone can help me there! I'm confused by your answer, which is discouraging...and only reaffirms that I may be in over my head!!

Thanks again and take care!!

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:17 pm
Expert

Why don't you use some cheap analogue clocks. Just attach the toy to one of the hands.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

That's a good idea! Wondering if those little clock hands can support the weight? Maybe if the weight was mostly supported by the frame of the clock face...

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]