View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Nerf Gun Auto Targeting Project 
Guru

Post Nerf Gun Auto Targeting Project
This summer, we decided to do a fun project and use it as a training ground for new students. Summer is at the end and our project has concluded. Here is a video of it.
http://youtu.be/mh_tfZqJN78

We took our FRC practice robot, outfitted it with a NERF N-Strike Stampede ECS-50 Blaster mounted on a pan and tilt servo platform. We took the Axis camera/ring light off our Ultimate Ascent robot and mounted it on top of the gun. We then modified our Ultimate Ascent robot code and that's the result. We showed it off at the StudentRND Demo Day on Aug 24, 2013.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:33 am

Post Re: Nerf Gun Auto Targeting Project
That was very cool. First day of school is tomorrow. I'll show this to one of my classes. They'll love it.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 pm
Senior Roboticist

Very nice. A great job by your team. I really like the dual-joystick approach for the fine control of the mecanum wheels.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

NeXT-Generation wrote:
Very nice. A great job by your team. I really like the dual-joystick approach for the fine control of the mecanum wheels.

Thank you. I actually didn't like the 2-joystick tank drive but some of the kids prefer it. We have a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick that has a "twist" axis on the stick. I want them to try that. It would be perfect for mecanum drive. The X and Y will be controlling the translation of the robot (i.e. forward, backward, sideways, diagonal etc), the twist will control the rotation (i.e. heading). So one stick will do it all. We actually have another summer project that is still in progress. We may apply it there. This project is to develop swerve drive. Four independent wheels with their own motors as well as individual servos that will control the direction of each wheel (i.e. four wheel steering). This is a very challenging project. We want to drive it like mecanum wheels. Imagine if we can drive the robot at any direction while independently rotate the robot pointing to any heading without affecting the driving direction. For example, we want to drive the robot to move diagonally to the northwest direction and the robot is turning to head east at the same time while the robot is moving . I think the control algorithm is very fun to develop.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 am
Professor

The control algorithm for basic swerve drive is surprisingly simple for such a complicated mechanism; I wouldn't even call it elegant. A slightly more involved project (but of little actual competition value) would be to devise a swerve drive system which would generate outputs for any number of wheel pods, at any coordinates, given any center of rotation. ;)

and also quadrotors. Quadrotors!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]