View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Bluetooth not seeing NXT after NXT locks 
Rookie

Post Bluetooth not seeing NXT after NXT locks
Last night my team and I were presenting at a school function when our robot wouldn't connect to the bluetooth. 20 minutes before, everyhting was working fine, but as soon as the people started showing up things went down hill.

First, whenever we used the servos, the NXT would lock up and freeze, so I had to shut off the program, and then shut off the NXT by taking the battery out or else it would just keep saying it was running teleop and lock up.

Then, I was trying to run our second, smaller robot, and someone ended up running the small robots program on the big robot, where it again froze and locked up. This happened several times even though the robots were turned off, I don't know if someone turned them on or what, but now nothing works.

I tried connecting it to the bluetooth again last night, and when I tried that a couple things would happen:

It would ask for a password, I'd put it in, and then it would do nothing and reject me. Or it would just flat out reject the NXT and say it didn't exist. This happened for both NXTs.

The robots worked when we connected them to the computer via USB, but they would still freeze up regularly. I had been using the bluetooth for a week and never had any problems with it and now I have no idea what to do.

I need this to run by Saturday and right now we're dead in the water unless I can figure out what happened to it.

Please let me know if you know what it could be, the laptop I have is version 3.2 or something very close to that. The only thing I can think of is to reset everything and try again, and see if that works.

I did make sure that that setting was on in the preferences, allow connecting via wireless or something like that.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 am
Professor

Post Re: Bluetooth not seeing NXT after NXT locks
So, I would try doing a reset of the Bluetooth on the NXT brick. There's a reset option under the NXT's Bluetooth menu somewhere. And the I would go to the Bluetooth Devices section of the control panel, delete the NXT bricks that you are having trouble with from there, and then adding them back. I find that if something goes wrong with the NXT brick when it is connected to a computer via Bluetooth, it seems to hose the computer's ability to wirelessly connect to it unless you re-establish a connection with it via the Control Panel steps listed above.

Check out our team website at http://bluechariotsoffire.com/.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:56 am
Rookie

BurningLights wrote:
So, I would try doing a reset of the Bluetooth on the NXT brick. There's a reset option under the NXT's Bluetooth menu somewhere. And the I would go to the Bluetooth Devices section of the control panel, delete the NXT bricks that you are having trouble with from there, and then adding them back. I find that if something goes wrong with the NXT brick when it is connected to a computer via Bluetooth, it seems to hose the computer's ability to wirelessly connect to it unless you re-establish a connection with it via the Control Panel steps listed above.

I did some research on the NXT lockups, and can you confirm that they don't actually harm the NXT, they're just super annoying? From what I read all you have to do is remove the battery and put it back in and that's that, it doesn't damage the NXT at all.

And would I have to do this whenever the NXT locks up, or is it random?

Thanks for the fast reply, it's greatly appreciated. What you said lines up with what has been happening, as far as the computers ability to establish connection being hosed.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am
Professor

Of all the NXT lockups I've seen, I've never seen it actually harm the brick. I think it's basically kind of like your computer locking up - it's super annoying, but just restart it and it's fine. I don't know if you'll have to go through this process EVERY time the brick locks up, but probably every time the brick locks up and you're connected to it by Bluetooth, and definitely every time the computer stops communicating correctly with the NXT.

Check out our team website at http://bluechariotsoffire.com/.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:03 pm
Rookie

Alright, cool. That's good to hear. I'll try out what you said when I get home and get back to you if it fails. Thanks!

Oh, not sure if it means anything, but the NXT seemed to go crazy whenever we tried to use our servos.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]