View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Line following sensor: Color or EOPD? 
Rookie

Post Line following sensor: Color or EOPD?
I'd like to use the commonly available blue masking tape as the "line" for a line-following robot (actually an edge following robot with proportional response). The LEGO color sensor doesn't work with RobotC, and the light sensor has trouble with the contrast between the blue tape and my brown hardwood floors. I think a HT color sensor would do the trick, but I suspect that an EOPD could also do very well. In my design, the sensor cant be over the tape, so it would need to be angled towards the floor/tape at about 45 degrees.

Any recommendations? Has anybody here tried using an EOPD for line following?

Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Post Re: Line following sensor: Color or EOPD?
I've never tried using the EOPD for this purpose but I do know that its response depends quite a lot on the reflectivity of the surface you have it pointing at. Is there a specific reason you want to use the EOPD? I have one of the Mindsensors LineLeader sensors and it's really good. I have a video of it here: [LINK]. Here's another video about tuning it: [LINK]. There are some more videos of it on the product page :)

Drivers for both the EOPD and the LL can be found in my driver suite (see signature for link).

Regards,
Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Mon May 10, 2010 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Post Re: Line following sensor: Color or EOPD?
Thanks again mightor for a prompt response. The mindsensors LineLeader looks really nice, but it needs to be placed over the line (blue tape). I specifically need a sensor that does not need to go over the line. I envision a sensor being titled 45 degrees to the left or right so that it can still see the contrast between the floor and line, but this puts some extra distance between the sensor and the edge of the line. Thats where I thought the EOPD may have advantages over the color sensor.

I know this is a strange design, but I assure you that there are good reasons for it that are lengthy to explain.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]