View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 am






Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
HiTechnic IR Seeker driver 
Author Message
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
A new release (0.3) has been uploaded to http://code.google.com/p/robotc-drivers/downloads/list, enjoy!

It fixes all the above mentioned problems and typos.

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
First of all I would like to say great job on the code. You really seem to know your stuff.

Ive been messing around with the NXT and robotc for about a year now, and now Im attempting to create a self parking robot that uses 2 L.E.D.'s and 2 ir seeker sensors.

Im curious to know how to get the seeker sensors to pick up and work out the exact frequancy of an l.e.d. source. Your code is helping but Im struggling to get my robot to identify what the frequancy for each led is by displaying there values (ont the NXT screen or on the computr screeen). If I could do that then I could begin to write a program that would allow the robot to navigate towards them.

Have you got any suggestions???

Cheers Andy

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:51 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
andynalley wrote:
First of all I would like to say great job on the code. You really seem to know your stuff.

Ive been messing around with the NXT and robotc for about a year now, and now Im attempting to create a self parking robot that uses 2 L.E.D.'s and 2 ir seeker sensors.

Im curious to know how to get the seeker sensors to pick up and work out the exact frequancy of an l.e.d. source. Your code is helping but Im struggling to get my robot to identify what the frequancy for each led is by displaying there values (ont the NXT screen or on the computr screeen). If I could do that then I could begin to write a program that would allow the robot to navigate towards them.

Have you got any suggestions???

Cheers Andy

Thanks for the compliment. I am not sure what you mean by frequency of the light. Are you intermittently blinking them? Is one blinking at, say, 10 Hz and the other at something like 20Hz? If this is the case then you could check the IR seekers at at least twice the fastest frequency, that's 40Hz, in this case. Then you should count the length of each pulse from the different LEDs. It is not unlike reading a wheel encoder :)

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
mightor wrote:
andynalley wrote:
First of all I would like to say great job on the code. You really seem to know your stuff.

Ive been messing around with the NXT and robotc for about a year now, and now Im attempting to create a self parking robot that uses 2 L.E.D.'s and 2 ir seeker sensors.

Im curious to know how to get the seeker sensors to pick up and work out the exact frequancy of an l.e.d. source. Your code is helping but Im struggling to get my robot to identify what the frequancy for each led is by displaying there values (ont the NXT screen or on the computr screeen). If I could do that then I could begin to write a program that would allow the robot to navigate towards them.

Have you got any suggestions???

Cheers Andy

Thanks for the compliment. I am not sure what you mean by frequency of the light. Are you intermittently blinking them? Is one blinking at, say, 10 Hz and the other at something like 20Hz? If this is the case then you could check the IR seekers at at least twice the fastest frequency, that's 40Hz, in this case. Then you should count the length of each pulse from the different LEDs. It is not unlike reading a wheel encoder :)

Regards,
Xander


Thats a good idea. Ive been trying to think of how to have two different signals coming from the LED's. I was thinking of something as simple different LED Brightness levels. But I need to work out how to read the LED light source using the nxt and ir seeker, so that I can then test different methods for defining the LED. Thats why I wandering If you could advise me on how to get the ir seeker to read the LED source (say from the robocup jr ball, which i got to test it). If I can see what type of readings the ir seeker picks up I can then work out how Im gonna differentiate netween them.

Cheers

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:10 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
[quote="andynalley"
Thats a good idea. Ive been trying to think of how to have two different signals coming from the LED's. I was thinking of something as simple different LED Brightness levels. But I need to work out how to read the LED light source using the nxt and ir seeker, so that I can then test different methods for defining the LED. Thats why I wandering If you could advise me on how to get the ir seeker to read the LED source (say from the robocup jr ball, which i got to test it). If I can see what type of readings the ir seeker picks up I can then work out how Im gonna differentiate netween them.

Cheers[/quote]
Brightness is also a dependent on distance, so how will you tell the difference between a dim LED close by and a bright LED that's far away? Pulsing the LEDs is by far the most fool-proof method to distinguish between different sources.
In the absence of actually owning one of these sensor I am going to have to guess that you just hold the ball in front of it and move it about and check the different readings as they come out of the sensor. The Robocup Jr ball doesn't blink at 10 or 20 Hz, as far as I am aware of so it is a constant source of IR light. It's basically an array of many IR LEDs. Did I not include a little test program with the driver?

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
mightor wrote:
[quote="andynalley"
Thats a good idea. Ive been trying to think of how to have two different signals coming from the LED's. I was thinking of something as simple different LED Brightness levels. But I need to work out how to read the LED light source using the nxt and ir seeker, so that I can then test different methods for defining the LED. Thats why I wandering If you could advise me on how to get the ir seeker to read the LED source (say from the robocup jr ball, which i got to test it). If I can see what type of readings the ir seeker picks up I can then work out how Im gonna differentiate netween them.

Cheers

Brightness is also a dependent on distance, so how will you tell the difference between a dim LED close by and a bright LED that's far away? Pulsing the LEDs is by far the most fool-proof method to distinguish between different sources.
In the absence of actually owning one of these sensor I am going to have to guess that you just hold the ball in front of it and move it about and check the different readings as they come out of the sensor. The Robocup Jr ball doesn't blink at 10 or 20 Hz, as far as I am aware of so it is a constant source of IR light. It's basically an array of many IR LEDs. Did I not include a little test program with the driver?

Regards,
Xander[/quote]

Yeh ya did include the test program. Ive been trying to use it for ages with the test ball but it doesnt do anything. Whats it meant to do??? Havent you specified it to respond to a certain Lumen, meaning that if my ball producing that Lumen it wont do anything???

cheers

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
No, the test program should just tell you the strength and direction of the light. I didn't test it, of course, as I don't have a sensor :) I think JamesD did test it though.

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Ok, how would I set it up, so that using your driver I can call on the sensor using commands for the ultra sonic sensor. What would the robotc commands be for that???

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for hassling you so much but this is my final year project for uni.

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:02 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
You want to use my drivers to use the IR Seeker as an US sensor? You can't. You either use that sensor as a US sensor -or- you use my drivers and the API that comes with it.

You are not hassling me, if you were, I wouldn't be posting this right now :)

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Ok no probs. Well Ive just slightly overcome my own stupidity and got your test program working. Is there any lumen value set in your driver software or is it litterally just drivers telling the nxt what type of data it should be picking up. If so, how would I define 2 ir sensors, one in port 1(s1) one in ort 2(s2). Would this work.

#pragma config(Sensor, S1, HTIRS, sensorI2CCustom)
#pragma config(Sensor, S2, HTIRS, sensorI2CCustom)

Cheers

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:38 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
andynalley wrote:
Ok no probs. Well Ive just slightly overcome my own stupidity and got your test program working. Is there any lumen value set in your driver software or is it litterally just drivers telling the nxt what type of data it should be picking up. If so, how would I define 2 ir sensors, one in port 1(s1) one in ort 2(s2). Would this work.

#pragma config(Sensor, S1, HTIRS, sensorI2CCustom)
#pragma config(Sensor, S2, HTIRS, sensorI2CCustom)

Cheers

No, it wouldn't. In your code, both sensors have the same name, HTIRS. I would suggest you change it to something like this:
Code:
#pragma config(Sensor, S1,     HTIRS1,               sensorI2CCustom)
#pragma config(Sensor, S2,     HTIRS2,               sensorI2CCustom)

I do no processing of any kind of the data. What you get is what the sensor provided the driver. I use standard I2C transactions to retrieve this data. There is no magic or transmogrification of any kind involved :) The data returned is not a unit like "lumens", it's just a relative strength value or a direction value, depending on what function is called.

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Woops sorry that was me being a bit retarded. I meant to put HTIRS1 and 2. sorry for the confusion.

Now Ive got your test program running Im trying to adapt it to follow the flashing led from the ball. Any ideas???

Cheers

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:48 pm
Profile
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 3240
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Hehe, without knowing what your robot looks like, how you're planning to "follow" the ball or lack of of details, I am not sure what you'd like me to tell you :)

I have ideas, but I doubt many of them are even remotely related to following an IR ball :)

So, start a new thread in the Projectsg forum, post some pics, goals of your project, etc and we can continue this conversation there. It's starting to become a little Off-Topic.

Regards,
Xander

_________________
| Professional Conduit of Reasonableness
| (Title bestowed upon on the 8th day of November, 2013)
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots
| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Ok will do mate. Thanks for all your help.

Andy

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:59 pm
Profile
Rookie

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Bradford (Leedsford)
Post Re: HiTechnic IR Seeker driver
Sorry one more question. Do you know wether it is possible for the ir seeker sensor to define between colours. Say a red led and a green led.

Cheers Andy

_________________
Old skool BBoy, New Fire Crew!!!!!


Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:36 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.