View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
SuperPro Strobe 
Rookie

Post SuperPro Strobe
What can you use the Strobe outputs for? and how does one use them?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Post Re: SuperPro Strobe
I asked one of my friends at HiTechnic and this what he told me:
Quote:
In a nutshell. The strobe outputs are intended to facilitate reading and writing to a low-level digital devices, like perhaps an LCD display. There is a read, a write, and four general purpose strobe pins.

The strobe output value setting sets the normal state of the strobe outputs. The four general purpose strobe bits are completely determined by the strobe setting value.

The read and write strobe bits are pulsed, i.e. briefly negated, whenever the SuperPro reads or writes to the 8-bit binary i/o. When you write a value to the 8-bit output, the SuperPro will pulse the write strobe bit after the digital value is electronically stable. Similarly, whenever you read from the 8-bit i/o, the SuperPro will first pulse the read strobe, then wait a fraction of a millisecond, before sampling the i/o bits to get the value.

Let’s say you are interfacing with a digital device like a digital display. You may be able to use the general purpose strobe bits as address bits. Since you want your digital device to be able to accept a stream of bytes, your device monitors the write strobe bit and only reads the byte whenever the strobe goes high (or low).

If you are interfacing to a device that attempt to send a stream of bytes to the SuperPro, then this device can monitor the read strobe and give the SuperPro the next data byte every time it is pulsed.

I have tried to see the read and write strobes on an oscilloscope but they are so brief they did not register. Though I was able to electronically trigger on the strobe and verify that the read and write strobe does happen when you read and write to the binary i/o port.

I’m not an electrical engineer so I’m not sure if I’m explaining well but I hope this makes some sense and clears things up.

Does this help?

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]