View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Debugging Windows? 
Rookie

Post Debugging Windows?
Once when I was on RobotC, I accidentally closed the debugging windows (except the main one). Now I can't see how to get them back; even when I reinstall the software they don't show up. The help file tells me to go on Robot>Debugger Windows, but there is no such thing (see attached screenshot). Does anyone know how to get these back up?

Thanks

-Jonathan
#2945 Power Surge

Attachments:
Debugger Windows Problem.png
Debugger Windows Problem.png [ 237.5 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]
Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Debugging Windows?
Jonathan -

The Debugger and other Debug Windows are only available when the ROBOTC software has a connection to your robot. Download your program to your robot, and the "Debug Windows" menu option will appear again. From there, you should be able to choose the windows you'd like to have open.

Hope that helps!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am
Professor

Once you open the debugger itself (the menu item your screenshot is pointing at), then the Debug Windows sub-menu will show under the Robot menu.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am
Rookie

Awesome... it worked!

Thanks for the help,

-Jonathan

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm
Creator
Creator

Another good tip to know is the following.

ROBOTC stores the location of its various windows in the "WINDOWS Registry". Sometime you can "loose" a window -- say you had two monitors simultaneously connected and debug window was on second monitor. And now you just have a single monitor. So, how to recover?

Well there is a command to "reset the ROBOTC registry entries to default settings". This will clear everything to the original values including these window settings.

The "reset registry" command is under the "View" menu. If it's not in this menu, then it is because you've got the menu level set to "Basic User". This command only shows up in the "Expert" mode user level. You'll first have to adjust the "Menu Level" which is a command on the "Windows" sub-menu.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:19 am
Professor

It is possible for RobotC to detect that the window it is about to show will be invisible (entirely off screen). Most Windows programs will force the window to be on screen if the resolution changes or the number of monitors change. I had a big problem with most of my RobotC debug windows being off screen when I hooked my laptop up to a projecter a couple days ago. I would like to suggest that you put a fix for this on your wish list for a future version.

Also, FYI, there is a way for a user to pull an off screen window back on screen:
1) Make the window active (for example by selecting it from the Debuger Windows menu)
2) Press Alt-Space to open the window's system menu
3) Use the keyboard to select Move
4) Press any arrow key to get the window started moving
5) Once it starts moving the mouse will have captured it and you can easily drag it on screen (you don't need to press the mouse button to drag it, only to stop dragging it)

This works with almost all windows including the ones in RobotC.

Jeff

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]