View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
RVW under VMware Fusion on a Mac 
Rookie

Post RVW under VMware Fusion on a Mac
I've got VMWare Fusion installed under OSX Snow Leopard with an XP instance running. RobotC is installed and that seems to run/compile ok. I've added the VirtualWorld trial license. I've set Robot->Compile Target to Virtual WOrld and chosen the default Virtual World option in the menu. When I choose the sample program for Forward Movement and click COmpile/DOwnload, it seems as though the VW popup window starts to display but then I get and error dialog "Oops - the game has crashed..."

Has anyone gotten RVW running in a similar environment to mine?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RVW under VMware Fusion on a Mac
This is an issue that we sometimes see when a user is running an OS through VMWare Fusion. The issue is with the Unity Engine (which Virtual Worlds runs off of) and how the individual computer is allocating resources to the virtual machine. I suggest taking a look through VMWare's help site specifically for this issue (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1027884) and try the steps outlined there.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm
Rookie

I went thru the VMWare tools installed and tweaked the mem limit up a bit and that worked. The Virtual World interface now comes up. Now I just need to see how to get things a bit more responsive...very sluggish. I'm going to upgrade the RAM in this thing tomorrow - see if that makes a diff.

Thanks for the assistance!

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 pm
Rookie

Ok - I've bumped this mac mini up to 8GB. The virtual XP machine under Fusion 5 I've set the RAM limit to 4GB. I've made a handful of XP optiimization tweaks in the XP instance. All in all the XP experience seems decently snappy. The Virtual Worlds seems to have increased "a bit" slightly as far as responsiveness. However, when I run a sample program - like the basic move forward (I've increased the motor run time to 20 seconds in order to detect changes) the running is periodic; runs smoothly for 1 second then pauses for about 3 seconds then rinse repeat. While the bot is in motion it seems pretty smooth. Any ideas why I don't get a continuous run without these regular 2-3 second "pauses"?

Would using a Windows 8 instance would make any difference?

Any advice much appreciated.
Mac mini 2.4 Ghz Duo core, 8GB, Fusion 5 with tools installed on the XP instance.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm
Rookie

flvtxfreak wrote:
I've got VMWare Fusion installed under OSX Snow Leopard with an XP instance running. RobotC is installed and that seems to run/compile ok. I've added the VirtualWorld trial license. I've set Robot->Compile Target to Virtual WOrld and chosen the default Virtual World option in the menu. When I choose the sample program for Forward Movement and click COmpile/DOwnload, it seems as though the VW popup window starts to display but then I get and error dialog "Oops - the game has crashed..."

Has anyone gotten RVW running in a similar environment to mine?

I know this isn't much help, but I'm running RobotC and Virtual Worlds with no problem using Parallels. I'm currently running on a fairly well endowed box (2012 MB-Pro), but until fairly recently was running it on a 2009 Macbook with no issues. Perhaps it's a Fusion issue...

Nate

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

In addition to RAM, the video card and it's memory are crucial to the performance of the virtual worlds. I don't personally have the software you're using to try it out, but try to give as much of the video card related resources as possible.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am
Rookie

jbflot wrote:
In addition to RAM, the video card and it's memory are crucial to the performance of the virtual worlds. I don't personally have the software you're using to try it out, but try to give as much of the video card related resources as possible.

Yep thanks - I didnt see the verbiage on the specs page about integrated vs discrete. That's most likely my problem. Looking around at laptop options I guess.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:07 am
Rookie

nateww wrote:
I know this isn't much help, but I'm running RobotC and Virtual Worlds with no problem using Parallels. I'm currently running on a fairly well endowed box (2012 MB-Pro), but until fairly recently was running it on a 2009 Macbook with no issues. Perhaps it's a Fusion issue...

Nate

THose macbooks come with dedicated video cards no? If so then that confirms my issue that VW won't run (well) under integrated graphics.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 am
Rookie

nateww wrote:

Nate

Ok - just for the sake of trying all options before going down the new laptop route I installed Parallels and then WIndows 7 Pro as a VC. Parallels lets me bump up video memory although in my case I'm not sure if that really achieves anything. Trying the same sample program VW does seem to run "mostly" smoothly and continuous. I'll have to experiment some more with it.

Edit: Running the code for the labyrinth gives different results everytime under this config. Time to go shopping.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm
Senior Roboticist

flvtxfreak wrote:
...that confirms my issue that VW won't run (well) under integrated graphics.
I don't know anything about Macs, but my Windows laptop PC has integrated graphics (AMD RADEON 6520G with a A6 Quad-Core proccessor) and VW works brilliantly with it, as well as 3D graphics-heavy games.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

NeXT-Generation wrote:
flvtxfreak wrote:
...that confirms my issue that VW won't run (well) under integrated graphics.
I don't know anything about Macs, but my Windows laptop PC has integrated graphics (AMD RADEON 6520G with a A6 Quad-Core proccessor) and VW works brilliantly with it, as well as 3D graphics-heavy games.

Congrats...now go get yourself a nice cookie.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Before this turns into a flame war, perhaps Next-Generation was trying to make the point that without the overhead of VMware Fusion on OSX, ROBOTC RVW would run just fine on that laptop.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Senior Roboticist

mightor wrote:
Before this turns into a flame war, perhaps Next-Generation was trying to make the point that without the overhead of VMware Fusion on OSX, ROBOTC RVW would run just fine on that laptop.

= Xander
Yes, that's exactly it.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

mightor wrote:

= Xander

Perhaps...yes, but IF I was running this Windows app on a Windows machine (especially a quad core with a hefty graphics gpu with 4gb shared memory) this thread probably wouldn't exist in the first place. This macmini I have is what I use for school. NExt might have missed the part where I realized the solution for me was to get a Windows laptop. I could get a beefy integrated one or follow most everyone else's direction and get something with a discrete card. I've already opted for the latter - it arrives later this afternoon (can't wait...).

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:19 am
Rookie

New laptop with dedicated gpu, VW runs silky smooth. VERY nice!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next