View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
How useful is the RVW? 
Rookie

Post How useful is the RVW?
The sponsor for my school's robotics team is considering purchasing the RVW but wants to know, on average, how useful it has been in the past and present to those using it. If anyone would like to share how it has impacted the design process and programming/driving process of the robot, please do so below.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: How useful is the RVW?
Mike Reck,

I am very happy to hear that your sponsor is considering RVW for your robotics team. Using our Robot simulation environment students learn to program robots not only faster but more effectively than if they used a physical robot. After conducting research we found that teaching programming through the RVW simulation resulted in the same learning gains as real robots, but in 30 school days faster, allowing for more content to be taught in the classroom.

For more information on the impact of RVW and our research please visit:

-Teaching Robot Programming Through Simulation
http://cs2n.org/teachers/rvw

-Robot Virtual Worlds Fall 2012 Study Results
http://d259kjxi83jzdf.cloudfront.net/assets/teachers/Robot%20Virtual%20World%20Fall%202012%20Results-0f3612f84320aae36f1d989ea80a8566.pdf

Please let me know if you have anymore questions. Thank you again for considering RVW for your robotics team.

Thanks, Lee Carrozza

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 am
Rookie

Post Re: How useful is the RVW?
Mike,

I am using RVW with my Robotic teams and teaching a 7th and 8th class with RVW. So I have 50+ kids on it right now. While there have been some minor bugs, the program is great and the students are learning how to code very quickly. The tutorials provided with the Video Cortex are great. My competitive teams all have their programmers working at their own speed to learn the programming side of things. I am very impressed with how Carnegie Mellon has put this together for us to use.

Danny

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]