View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
RVW Level Builder Issue - Cannot Save/Open from Net. Share 
Rookie

Post RVW Level Builder Issue - Cannot Save/Open from Net. Share
Checklist
1.) I'm not receiving an error.
2.) RobotC 3.62 (F/W 9.68) Build Date: Sep 5 2013
3.) VEX
4.) See Below.
5.) Open RobotC -> Menu Level: Basic -> Select Virtual World to Use: RVW Level Builder 2.1 -> Open RVW Level Builder Utility -> Open, Save, or Save As.
6.) N/A
7.) Windows XP Pro SP3
8.) Uncertain.

Issue
Hello. I'm currently representing a class in the Grand River Technical School (I'm a student technician) and we've run into an interesting issue with our RobotC RVW Level Builder. It opens the utility fine, but whenever you attempt to open or save a file, it does nothing. There's no error, no pop-up, no error sound, no visible glitching or anything other than it simply not working. Apparently the location for files is meant to be a folder share given to the student users. I attempted to Open Folder Location to see if it was locating it appropriately, but rather than taking me to the folder share, it redirected to the server itself (where the students to not have access or permission).

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:04 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RVW Level Builder Issue - Cannot Save/Open from Net. Sha
The Level Builder files are stored in a subdirectory of the user's Documents. For example, on a vanilla Windows 7 computer, they're stored at C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\RVW Level Builder. If you're using folder redirection, especially to a network share, there may be a problem with the way it's resolving this location.

What's the value of the registry value at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal (press Windows-R, type regedit, press OK, navigate to the correct value)?

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am
Rookie

I'll find that out for you shortly and update this post when I have the info.

EDIT: The registry value is as reads: \\hsserver3\students$\skillsusa\My Documents

Please note that the 'skillusa' is the name of the student user account, so it would also read as: \\hsserver3\students$\[student name]\My Documents

EDIT 2: I believe the reason its redirecting to a server share rather than My Documents is because they're roaming profiles, and the 'My Documents' on the server share is meant to replace their local My Documents. I'm not entirely sure on that, though.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've confirmed this is an issue with the way the Level Builder software is handling the network paths. A fix will be included in the next release of Level Builder.

Thanks for reporting it.

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]