View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Turning using encoders 
Rookie

Post Turning using encoders
Referencing Wednesday's class, since there was no wait programmed when making a turn using the encoders, how does the robot know how far to turn?
Chris

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Post Re: Turning using encoders
The robot will know how far to turn using the encoder values, just as if it was going straight. Take a look at the code below:
Code:
task main ()
{
//Clear the encoders
   nMotorEncoder[motorB] = 0;
   nMotorEncoder[motorC] = 0;

while(nMotorEncoder[motorB] < 150)//turn left until encoder value reaches 150
   {
      motor[motorB] = 20;
      motor[motorC] = -20;   

}

motor[motorB] = 50; //move forward
   motor[motorC] = 50;
   wait1Msec(4000);
}

The condition inside of our while loop is motorB reaching an encoder count of 150. As long as that condition is correct,
the robot will make a point turn left. As soon as the condition is no longer true, the loop breaks and the robot moves forward.

The robot moves proportionally, so if at an encoder count of 150, the robot makes a 45 degree turn, you can double your encoder
value and it should make a 90 degree turn. Experiment with it, and see what happens.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:28 pm
Rookie

Hi Parkway,
Thanks for responding. Please excuse my thickheadedness, but how does 150 = a 45 degree turn?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 pm

No problem. Remember, encoder values are degrees that the wheel is rotating. 45 degrees is the amount that the robot is turning. Try to think of it in these terms: in a left point turn, the left wheel is going backwards and the right wheel is moving forwards. You can go here to see a picture of what I mean:

http://www.robotc.net/support/nxt/MindstormsWebHelp/index.htm#page=robot_algebra/robot_movements/Robot%20Movements.htm

So, what you are really trying to figure out is "How many encoder counts (degrees) does my right wheel need rotate in order for my robot to make a 45 degree, left turn?"'

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that is the correct amount of encoder counts. You may have to play around with the values until you find the correct ones. I hope that clears it up for you.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]