View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Stuck on Level 2 Task - LEGO 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Stuck on Level 2 Task - LEGO
I registered and have begun the summer learning for Lego Mindstorms. Regretably I am stuck on level 2 task one because the consistancy of running the program in the virtual world is so wide that completing even the first run is impossible. Unless you can share why this is happening and what can be done to fix this, completing the course or even using it in the classroom environment is not practical.

Original Post on Facebook

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am

Post Re: Stuck on Level 2 Task - LEGO
Cara wrote:
I registered and have begun the summer learning for Lego Mindstorms. Regretably I am stuck on level 2 task one because the consistancy of running the program in the virtual world is so wide that completing even the first run is impossible. Unless you can share why this is happening and what can be done to fix this, completing the course or even using it in the classroom environment is not practical.

Original Post on Facebook

Glad to hear that you have started the Summer of Learning. I'd love to talk to you about why this is happening. I'm inferring from your questions that you are currently completing the Robo 500. A lot of students as they begin learning ROBOTC run into the same issues that your are currently facing. Here are a couple of ideas that may help you.

First, always remember, the robot does exactly what you tell it to do. That is a double edged sword. If I told you to walk to the door, you would walk to the door and stop. If you told (programmed) the robot to do the same thing, the robot would move to the door and keep going. It would not stop. Why? Because you never told the robot to stop. Each action that you want the robot to perform must be explained clearly.

That idea connects to Robo 500 in many ways. Initially, you want your robot to move forward for a specific distance. Next, you want your robot to turn. The key point is: What do you do in between? Think about it in terms of a car. What would you do if you were driving forward at a high speed before you made a very sharp, 90 degree turn? You would slow down.

Remember, your robot only does exactly what you tell it to do. Therefore, in order for your robot to make a consistent 90 degree turn in the Robo 500, you should probably have the robot stop after it moves forward. Your pseudocode should look like this:

move forward for time
stop for time
make a 90 degree right turn

Now, I'm assuming that is the problem since I can't see your code. If you'd like to post your code (using the code tags), I'll have a better idea of how to help.

Finally, I'm a teacher also. I've been using RVW for a few years now. They are a great addition to the classroom. Please feel free to ask how to incorporate them.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]