View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Clarification on <G9> 
Rookie

Post Clarification on <G9>
Hey, I have a question for you regarding scoring.

I'm still not done with the code I'm writing, but I'm just going to use what I have as an example.

My code is not consistent. At all. If everything works as planned, the program scores 30 points. It is 100% possible for that to happen with the code in the file. However, the robot will randomly get stuck at different points, miss the cylinder, or just generally do the wrong thing. I've seen it bottom out at two points following the completion of the program. I'm interested to know how this is scored. Is it an average score from, say, three runs? Is it the highest point total possible from, say, three runs? Is it just whatever the result is of the first run that the people scoring see? Kind of curious how this will work. After reading <G9>, I still have no idea.

So, how does the scoring work?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Clarification on <G9>
For reference:
Quote:
<G9> The Player that scores the highest amount of points in the shortest amount of time wins. In
the event of a tie the Robot Virtual World team will use the following Tie Breaking rules to
determine a winner (in this order):

•Tie Breaker 1 – the player that scores the highest amount of points in the shortest amount
of time wins; the Internal Timer tracks times in milliseconds.
• Tie Breaker 2 – If Players are tied and have identical times, then the Player that has used
the Robot Reset Button the least number of times wins.
• Tie Breaker 3 – In the case of Tie Breaker 1 and Tie Breaker 2 being unable to determine
a winner, the winner will be decided by who submitted their score first

Scoring will work as following:

A participant will run their code using the special Summer of Learning Challenge VEX Toss Up Virtual World. At the end of the run, the student will be given the option to upload their score via their CS2N account. Once the contest is over, the highest scores will be eligible for prizes (number of prizes yet to be determined).

The ranking goes by highest score. If two scores are tied, the tiebreaker is determined by the amount of time to achieve that score (using the Internal Timer, which submits the timing data with the rest of the scoring data). If two scores are tied on both score and time, the tiebreaker will be determined by which player used the Robot Reset Button the least amount of times during their run. If two scores have the same score, the same total time to complete the run, and the same amount of Robot Reset Button usage, then the tiebreaker will be determined by who submitted their code to CS2N first.

We will update the competition's CS2N page if there are any changes to the scoring/tiebreaking system before the competition starts, so keep an eye on it. Also, Players who are eligible for prizes will need to submit their code for review before the prizes are awarded.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]