View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:59 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
2013 CS2N VEX Programming Challenge - Q&A Thread 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post 2013 CS2N VEX Programming Challenge - Q&A Thread
This thread will be used to answer any and all questions related to the 2013 CS2N VEX Toss Up Programming Challenge.

== Frequently Asked Questions ==

What is the 2013 CS2N VEX Toss Up Programming Challenge?

The 2013-2014 CS2N VEX Programming Challenge is a programming specific challenge (no joysticks allowed!) using a modified version of the new VEX Toss Up game field in Robot Virtual Worlds.

Where can I sign up?

You can sign up for the competition at the Computer Science Student Network page (CS2N.org).

How long does the contest run for?

The earliest date for score submission is 05/31/13. You'll have until 8/31/13 to submit your code (if you are eligible for a prize), and winners will be announced 9/30/13.

What are the prizes?

We will be awarding over $10,000 in prizes, including software, robot kits, scholarships, and additional prizes. Final prizes and awarding structure will be announced soon, so keep an eye on the official CS2N competition page (http://www.cs2n.org/competitions/vex-toss-up) for updates as they appear.

What happens if I don't have Robot Virtual Worlds or if I don't know how to program in ROBOTC?

We will be offering a free Robot Virtual Worlds license to all participants when you sign up through CS2N.org. The license will last for the duration of the competition (until 08/31/13).

If you are new to programming or would like a refresher course on programming in ROBOTC, we have our VEX Cortex Video Trainer Curriculum free for use at any time. The Video Trainer Curriculum assumes no prior knowledge of programming and walks you through, step-by-step, on how to use ROBOTC's C-based programming language to control your robot. We will also be offering an online class for the ROBOTC for VEX - Summer of Learning Challenge, which you can sign up for through your CS2N account.

Can I import a 3D model of my robot in to the Robot Virtual Worlds and use it for the competition?

Unfortunately, that functionality does not yet exist in Robot Virtual Worlds. However, our RVW Level Builder with Model Importer was the first steps in developing that technology. As of this time, the project is currently under development and we plan to release it as soon as possible. Keep an eye on the ROBOTC blog (http://www.robotc.net/blog) for updates as they become available!

You didn't answer the question I really wanted to ask, which is....

For all other questions and inquiries, take a look at the ROBOTC subforum specifically for the 2013 Robotics Summer of Learning (this is also the place to ask for official answers to any questions you may have). Also, keep an eye on the CS2N.org page for new information as it becomes available, and be sure to check out the new Robot Virtual Worlds site (http://www.robotvirtualworlds.com/)!

== Other Questions ==

Question: "How is the competition scored (for rankings and prizes)?"
Answer: The system for determining the high score rankings is outlined in section <G9>:
Quote:
<G9> The Player that scores the highest amount of points in the shortest amount of time wins. In
the event of a tie the Robot Virtual World team will use the following Tie Breaking rules to
determine a winner (in this order):

•Tie Breaker 1 – the player that scores the highest amount of points in the shortest amount
of time wins; the Internal Timer tracks times in milliseconds.
• Tie Breaker 2 – If Players are tied and have identical times, then the Player that has used
the Robot Reset Button the least number of times wins.
• Tie Breaker 3 – In the case of Tie Breaker 1 and Tie Breaker 2 being unable to determine
a winner, the winner will be decided by who submitted their score first

The ranking goes by highest score. If two scores are tied, the tiebreaker is determined by the amount of time to achieve that score (using the Internal Timer, which submits the timing data with the rest of the scoring data). If two scores are tied on both score and time, the tiebreaker will be determined by which player used the Robot Reset Button the least amount of times during their run. If two scores have the same score, the same total time to complete the run, and the same amount of Robot Reset Button usage, then the tiebreaker will be determined by who submitted their code to CS2N first.

== Known Issues ==

Issue: "Whenever I try to hang in the CS2N toss up world, the robot takes off flying..."
Solution: (Fixed in current build of Toss Up) There is a known issue with the Ballerbot floating off the game field vertically when attempting a hang. The RVW team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix, which will be included in the next update.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]