View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
RobotC in Parallels saving error 
Rookie

Post RobotC in Parallels saving error
Hello. I am new to this forum and to RobotC and Vex. I teach an introduction to programming course to high school students. Our computer set up is iMac computers running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion with Parallels 9 Desktop and a Windows 8.1 virtual disk. RobotC v4 is installed. The students login to the iMac and their personal files are stored on a network home directory.

I am having an issue with RobotC throwing an error when my students try to save or open a file from their network home directory. The error is "The parameter is incorrect." This message persists and RobotC must be closed sometimes forcefully.

All of the other applications running in the Windows 8.1 virtual machine can access (open and save) documents stored in the students' network home directories. Parallels has the student home directory "shared" with the Mac OS. So this is not a mapped network drive. The connection is from the Mac side. For now I am having students store their programs on C drive of the virtual machine then backing them up to their network home directories manually.

I have done some searching and can not find information about this online. Has anyone else experienced this error? "The parameter is incorrect."

Joe

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Post Re: RobotC in Parallels saving error
Is the mounted path presented as a UNC path or under a drive letter? Some programs don't like the UNC paths and prefer to keep their stuff under a standard mounted drive letter.

I use VMware a lot and I usually just mount the virtual shared path under a letter. Under VMware it's usually along the lines of \\vmhost\Shared\<share name>.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Post Re: RobotC in Parallels saving error
Thank you. I will try assigning a drive letter to the network home. Parallels uses \\psf\ preceding the users network home directory. So far RobotC is the only program that has an issue with this that we have noticed. We have also noticed that the error, "The parameter is incorrect", occasionally shows up even when saving to a directory within the local account on the Windows virtual disk, but this error message closes properly instead of jamming up the software. And the file is actually saving unlike when saving to the network home.

We will keep investigating.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Joe

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]