View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
how do I check for double button push on vex controller 
Rookie

Post how do I check for double button push on vex controller
hello.

I am trying to code my robot's lift to behave differently based on whether I press the selected button once or I just hold the button in. I understand how to code the If statements for performing various actions, but I cannot figure out how to code a check for two button touches in a set time versus holding the button.

thanks for your help on this.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: how do I check for double button push on vex controller
This is a perfect case of how psuedocode can ease the programming process. In essence you want to:

Check IF a button is pressed, WAIT a certain amount of time, and IF the button is pressed still execute some code; ELSE, execute some other code. Putting this in psuedocode format will net us:

Code:
if(button is pressed)
{
  wait

if(button is pressed still)
    {
     do this code
    }

else
    {
    do this code instead
    }
}

From here, you should be able to add in the actual code to suit your specific setup (depending on if/what the sensor names are, for instance). One thing to note that this code will probably need to be up in a loop, and you will have to make sure that the wait command isn't too large (otherwise it will halt the program upon button press for x amount of time, where x is the time specified in the wait command.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am
Rookie

Post Re: how do I check for double button push on vex controller

So i understand that pseudocode. Two issues. in the first iff statement I am checking to see if the button is still pushed. I think that that state should be in the else because the condition where I have pressed once then pressed again to stimulate a special behavior is more restrictive.

The pseudocode for just that segment must be something like this:

IF (button pushed and released)
    {
    check to see if button is pressed again within a set amount of time (in my case if I were to press the button a second time, I would cause the lift to operate until a limit switch is activated - limit switch code is already done)
    }

Else if (button pressed and held for a longer time)
    {
    Perform a standard function (in my case this would be to move the lift up until i release the button)

else
    {
    do nothing
    }
    ////////////////////////////////////

so you can see that there has to be some sort of timer to check against, but I can't get my head around the test that would allow me to check if a button were pressed then released then repressed and released. This is similar to a mouse double click on a computer, but not being a programmer per se, i don't know how that code works let alone knowing how to make it work in RobotC.

Thank you,

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm
    Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]