View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
(noob) Need help! Windows 7 IR sensor 
Rookie

Post (noob) Need help! Windows 7 IR sensor
I have searched the web and followed all available directions to get my IR tower to work on Windows 7 32 bit. I have now tried on 2 different computers with the same results. My Windows 7 refuses to recognize my IR sensor. I followed these directions...

NOTE: To install this software you need a Lego USB transmission Tower.

Install the regular software from the mindstorms CD. When it asks you for maximum or minimum, pick maximum (we don't want the students to need a CD when they run the software).
When it completes, tell it you don't want to reboot yet.
Exit from RIS, remove CD.
Download and unzip RIS20XPPatch.zip
Double click on RIS20XPPatch to run it.
Download (into a different folder) and unzip LEGOTower.zip
Double click on Setup for that patch.
Plug in the Lego Mindstorms USB transmission Tower into the USB port. Let it auto-install (your drivers will be found in the files extracted from the LEGOTower.zip file.
Restart the computer
Run the lego "Robotics invention system" software. When you get to the part where it asks you to install batteries in the RCX, select cancel, and then select yes to indicate that you know you won't have downloaded the firmware.
Quit from the program.

I have tried re-installing the driver after it fails when windows automatically asks if it wants me to make the program "compatible" and re-install. I have tried manually updating the driver. No matter what I do, the IR sensor comes up as "unknown Device". My son's Birthday is 2 days away and I desperately need to get this working. Please help, thank you.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 am
Rookie

Post Re: (noob) Need help! Windows 7 IR sensor
Forgot to mention, it is the RIS 2.0. I purchased it from ebay and have no idea what firmware is on the brick. (although, I don't think that matters yet)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You may need to manually install the RCX Device Driver, which can be found here: http://www.robotc.net/download/rcx/

This should allow you to use the USB towers with the RCX platform, assuming you are using a 32-bit Windows environment.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 pm
Rookie

I have tried all of the patches/drivers shown below. I have also tried installing the drivers in XP and Vista compatibility mode.

rcxdriver.zip
Legotower.zip
tower164.zip
RIS20xpp.zip

I am a noob to this particular set of Hardware/Software. However, I am an extremely experienced computer/device person. I have created programs for Android through UBUNTU, I build my own computers and do a ton of software installing. This has me absolutely stumped. I am on 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate service pack 1.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm
Rookie

Do I need to be running a virtual XP environment? The device is "unknown" showing error code (43) and showing that there is no driver installed. I try and update the driver and it says that the current driver is the best avail, even though there isn't one installed... I am at a complete loss.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm
Senior Roboticist

Unplug the tower. Run the .exe file in the .zip that John linked you to. Let it run, then try plugging in the tower. I've used this on many different systems including Windows 7. That's all I've ever done.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Tried that as step 1. The software says the driver is installed and to plug in the USB, I plug it in and it comes up as an "unknown device". I am in the middle of installing virtual XP to see if I have any luck. Since the unit is used, there is a possibility that something is wrong with the hardware, I guess...

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 pm
Rookie

One more thing. After I install said driver, then plug in my IR tower, I get the windows message that it was not recognized. Then windows asks me if I would like to install using (paraphrase) compatible settings. I say yes, unplug and replug and it still comes up as unrecognized. I took the IR apart and everything appears to be in order. No lose wires or fried board, etc.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 pm
Rookie

Thank you for your help. I took the unit to a computer repair shop and tried it on an XP machine and still did not work. I think I have a bad unit.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]