View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
RobotC crashes once RVW is launched 
Rookie

Post RobotC crashes once RVW is launched
After opening a sample program designed for RVW, setting the compiler target to "Virtual Worlds", and hitting F5 to download the program, the debugger window comes up, and then it crashes, and Windows tells me that "RobotC Integrated Development Environment has stopped working". This happens regardless of which virtual world I have it set to or whether I'm compiling for the NXT alone or for NXT + Tetrix. I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit. This laptop has a 2nd gen core i3 processor with intel hd3000 graphics. Any ideas? Is there some sort of log file that might help me? Thanks.

EDIT: I meant to post this in the Robot Virtual Worlds subforum. I'd appreciate it if a moderator would move it for me. Thanks :)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RobotC crashes once RVW is launched
My initial guess is that the integrated Intel hd3000 graphic chip simply isn't powerful enough to run the Virtual Worlds application properly. Since it is a 3D simulation program, it does have a set of minimum requirements that mandate at least an "NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or better, ATI Radeon™ HD 3850 or better " graphics card.

Researching this a bit more, you can see that the minimum required graphics cards score roughly twice as high as the HD3000 (604 and 543 for the 8800GTS and HD 3850, respectively, versus 308 for the Intel HD3000 according to Passmark).

Unfortunately there isn't anything I can recommend for a fix (besides trying a different computer) as this is a hardware issue and not a software issue.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

John,
The fact that it's ROBOTC that is crashing seems to suggest that it's a ROBOTC issue, not RVW (though I may be wrong on this).

SergeantFTC,
Do you have Level Builder installed? Does it work if you launch it using the Window>>Open RVW Level Builder Utility menu command? (Try going to Build mode; Level Builder may close if you choose Play before downloading a program - this is a known issue and should be fixed in the next release).

Thanks,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 am
Rookie

Thanks for your input. I guess if the computer has only half of the required graphics power, I don't even need to bother trying to get it to work. For the record though, I don't have level builder installed.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

It never hurts to try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. :)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

SergeantFTC wrote:
For the record though, I don't have level builder installed.

The reason I had asked is when you compile and download, it starts the ROBOTC emulator. Using the Open RVW Level Builder Utility command opens the Level Builder without starting the emulator. The fact that it reported the ROBOTC IDE as the one crashing made me think that's where the problem was. I also really doubt that RVW will completely refuse to run or crash on a modern video card, especially Curriculum Companion. It may run ratherly slowly and laggishly, though.

You could try reinstalling ROBOTC as Jesse suggests.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am
Rookie

I'm pretty sure this is a persistent problem that has outlived many RobotC updates, so I highly doubt a reinstall would do it. But seriously, if I know it won't work well enough to be useful anyway, I'm not investing any more time in it. :-/

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A solution for a user with the same symptoms is posted here: http://robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6257

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]