View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Virtual Worlds Problem 
Rookie

Post Virtual Worlds Problem
Hi folks-

I got started on the course a little late, and I'm having a problem with the virtual worlds. Every time I try to compile and download a program (I am using one of the sample programs), I get an error message that says that the ROBOTC Integrated Development Environment as stopped working. To the best of my knowledge, I have followed all of the instructions properly. I tried reinstalling ROBOTC (the most recent version) several times with the same result. I'm using a Dell Latitude E5530 with Windows 7 (less than a year old) that appears to meet all of the minimum requirements to run Virtual Worlds. I have read all of the forum posts that I could find that seem to discuss a similar problem, but I haven't been able to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Virtual Worlds Problem
I'm not a master at this... But what program are you doing? And just to help out, can you post the code as well?

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Usually when we see this issue, it is because the graphics power of the computer is not enough to run the Robot Virtual Worlds program. Researching your computer, it looks like it either has an Intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000 graphics chip, which may not be powerful to run Virtual Worlds properly.

To confirm this is the problem, please send the DirectX Diagnostic report from your computer to me directly via jwatson@robotc.net. Not only will this show me which graphics chip is being used, it will also let me know if the correct driver is installed for it which is another possible cause of this issue.

You can open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Windows Start button, typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER. Once the window that pops up has loaded completely, click the 'Save all information' button to generate a report in the form of a text file; this is what you will need to send to me.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:25 pm
Rookie

Thanks John. I just sent you the report. I appreciate your help.

Andy

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Andy,
If this is a bug in our software, I want to make sure it gets fixed, if possible. Would you try the following things?

1. What Virtual World are you trying to open? Does it work with any other Virtual Worlds you have installed?
  2. Open up C:\Program Files\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW\ (depending if you're using 32- or 64-bit Windows), right click on Binder.dll and select Properties. What date does it report next to Created?
  3. If you have a license for either VEX or NXT physical robots (or you can activate your 30-day free trial if you haven't used it yet), choose Window>>Menu Level>>Expert, then Robot>>Compiler Target>>PC-Based Emulator. Does ROBOTC still crash when you Compile and Download?

Thanks,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:03 pm
Rookie

Hi Ryan-

I tried what you asked...here's what I found-

1. RobotC crashes no matter what world I try to open. I am specifically trying to use the curriculum companion world right now, but I tried a couple of others and they crashed as well. I was able to open up the level builder utility.

2. The date is November 2nd 2012

3. RobotC still crashed when I activated my license (I have a perpetual license) and did as you asked.

Hopefully this is helpful. Maybe it is a computer issue on my end...I'll wait and see what John has to say when he gets a chance to look at the specifications that I sent him.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 pm
Rookie

One amendment to my previous post....I can open up all of the virtual worlds by themselves by opening them through the RVW folder except for LearningRobotCTables (it crashes when I try to open it). RobotC crashes however, when I try to compile and download a program to any of these worlds.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Andy,
From your responses, it sounds like we can isolate this to a problem ROBOTC is experiencing, not something to do with Robot Virtual Worlds. I emailed one of the ROBOTC developers, Tim Friez (tfriez), and this was his response:

Quote:
I'm not sure what would be causing ROBOTC to crash.

My recommendation:
- Uninstall
- Clean Out Install Directory
- Delete Registry for ROBOTC
- Reinstall normal 3.61.1 build (we can provide him the RSOL license manually if we need to)

Asking about any special security settings/software that could be causing interference would be helpful as well.

So try:
  • Uninstall ROBOTC and any virtual worlds you have installed.
  • Manually delete the C:\Program Files\Robomatter Inc and/or C:\Program Files (x86)\Robomatter Inc folder.
  • Press WindowsKey-R, type regedit, and click OK. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Robotics Academy and delete the ROBOTC key. Close Registry Editor
  • Reinstall ROBOTC

You may also want to try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or other security software or policies that you have, as there's a small chance these could be interfering with ROBOTC.

If you have a problem with licenses when you reinstall, follow up with John by email.

Best,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 pm
Rookie

That seems to have worked. Thanks for your help! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:38 pm
Rookie

JohnWatson wrote:
Usually when we see this issue, it is because the graphics power of the computer is not enough to run the Robot Virtual Worlds program. Researching your computer, it looks like it either has an Intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000 graphics chip, which may not be powerful to run Virtual Worlds properly.

To confirm this is the problem, please send the DirectX Diagnostic report from your computer to me directly via jwatson@robotc.net. Not only will this show me which graphics chip is being used, it will also let me know if the correct driver is installed for it which is another possible cause of this issue.

You can open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Windows Start button, typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER. Once the window that pops up has loaded completely, click the 'Save all information' button to generate a report in the form of a text file; this is what you will need to send to me.

it will also let me know if the correct driver is installed for it

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 am
Rookie

I had the same issue with RobotC Version 4.1 with a dell inspiron running windows 8 64bit. The crash came after I ran a program in Lego RVW, then ran it physically on the NXT robot with the Tele-Op mode. The NXT was low on battery voltage and sent some glitch to RobotC causing it to crash. Upon Reopening RobotC, it crashed every time I tried to compile to RVW.

This is what I did to fix it
Uninstall ROBOTC and any virtual worlds 4.1
Verified the C:\Program Files\Robomatter Inc and/or C:\Program Files (x86)\Robomatter Inc folder were deleted
Press WindowsKey-R, type regedit, and click OK. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Robomatter inc and delete the key. Closed Registry Editor
Re installed RobotC
Verified the Registry key was put back in the install
Reactivated my RVW License
Closed and opened RobotC and was able to compile to the RVW.
Did a happy dance.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]