View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
RobotC and VMWARE 
Rookie

Post RobotC and VMWARE
I know RobotC is a windows application, however at the school I am helping, they only use MACs (sorry!) So, I have been trying for hours to get ROBOTC to connect the the VEX EDR Cortec Microcontroller without any success at all. I have followed what documentation I have found, re-installed several times and I still can not get it to work!

I don't know what I am doing wrong? There must be a step I am missing.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to success. I use VMWARE on my mac as well, for those windows applications that are not for MAC. I have never had so much trouble with an install.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sincerely

Dean

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RobotC and VMWARE
These problems are usually based around having the devices recognized by the VM and shared through the Mac host OS. We have a recently made guide on the ROBOTC wiki that may help with this (using ROBOTC on a Mac), check it out here: http://www.robotc.net/wiki/ROBOTC_on_a_Mac

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:18 am
Rookie

JohnWatson thanks for the reply. I have already found and used that document. It does not help with communicating with the CORTEX. I guess I did not ask the questions specific enough.

What I am unsuccessful with is connecting to the CORTEX with ROBOTC using the A-A cable. When I go to View>Preferences>Detailed Preferences, the communication port only says automatic, nothing else, there is no indication that it is connected at all. Documentation that I have found says that is should say "Wired Cable A-A". So I am assuming i don't have a proper connection yet When I plug in the CORTEX, vmware sees the "MICROCHIP CDC RC Controller" but apparently ROBOTC does not see the device?? Im at a loss.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again .
Dean

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

deandec wrote:
When I plug in the CORTEX, vmware sees the "MICROCHIP CDC RC Controller" but apparently ROBOTC does not see the device?

This may be the key issue. The Master firmware on the Cortex is probably an older version, which makes it look like an HID device (which won't work in VMWare). To solve this, you will need to connect the Cortex to a PC, install the VEXNet Firmware Upgrade Utility from VEX's Download page, and use it to upgrade the Master firmware to the latest version. Once that is complete, VMWare should recognize the Cortex and install the drivers for it automatically (it should appear as 'VEX Robotics Com Port' in the Device Manager) and allow ROBOTC to connect to it.

Please let me know if this solve the issue for you.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]