View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Licensing and standard machine image 
Rookie

Post Licensing and standard machine image
We have run into a situation where we use a standard machine image for our student laptops and RobotC licensing.

Our licenses were fine and all of a sudden they are deactivated. And we are blocked from adding a license back to them.

I am wondering what we can do to re-arm the licensing and re-license the laptops.

This played out like creating a standard machine image for a corporation:
Install the OS and apps.
create an image using ImageX.
Deploy that image to the laptops.
Launch RobotC and apply the license.

All indicates that it is 'okay'
30 days pass and now the laptops claim the trial period is over. They show the key from the license and won't activate.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:23 pm
Guru

Post Re: Licensing and standard machine image
BrianEh wrote:
This played out like creating a standard machine image for a corporation:
Install the OS and apps.
create an image using ImageX.
Deploy that image to the laptops.
Launch RobotC and apply the license.

That's not true. In a corporate deployment, at least for the Windows OS, after installing the OS and the apps, you need to run sysprep. This is a deployment tool where it resets the OS back to "OOB" (Out-Of-Box) state. Then you image the hard disk with that state. When the image is deployed on another machine, OOB will run and it will fix a few things in the registry for the new machine. One of the things it must fix is the "unique system ID". Without this step, you will have multiple machines with the same ID on the network. Also, OOB will prompt you for the OS product key so you will have to provide different license for different machine unless you have a volume license. Having said all that, this is only applicable for Microsoft OS and apps. For other 3rd party apps, they have different ways of enforcing licenses. So you need to send email to support@robotc.net. They should be able to help you.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:11 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Licensing and standard machine image
Yes, I am deeply familiar with Windows deployment, sysprep, unattended setup, etc. I was simply saving some screen space and summarizing without the gory details.

And yes, the machine SID issue. However, there is no AD at the robot shop. Just workgroup. so only a unique computername is any requirement.

My point was, that this appeared to work properly, then went sideways. So, I obviously violated some assumption with the RobotC licensing enforcement engine.

Thanks for the reply.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]