View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
HELP!!! Clicking brick syndrome! 
Rookie

Post HELP!!! Clicking brick syndrome!
My NXT brick is functionally dead.

I was trying to download the RobotC firmware onto a new NXT brick when I got an error message—something about 'boot mode', I wish I remembered more—and then the NXT went into the dreaded purgatory known as 'clicking brick syndrome'. I've already tried all the basic suggestions (I tried every possible combination of replacing batteries and performing hard resets, I tried reloading the NXT-G firmware, &c.) but nothing has worked yet.

When I plug the brick into a computer (using Windows 7), it gives me the "new device plugged-in" chime, but neither RobotC nor the Mindstorms NXT software recognize the device, both returning errors like "No NXT bricks connected via USB" and "Cannot locate NXT device to download firmware."

Other than going out and buying another NXT brick, what should I do??

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 pm
Professor

Post Re: HELP!!! Clicking brick syndrome!
Try resetting the brick. Use a paper clip and push the little button in one of the holes. You'll recognize it when you see it.

and also quadrotors. Quadrotors!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 pm
Rookie

I've already tried that sooooo many times that I could do it in my sleep. Still nothing.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm
Guru

Did you play with Arduino? If so, please read the sticky post on the NXT forum.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6278

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 pm
Rookie

Yes, Yes, Yes! Thanks for connecting the dots. I saw "Bossa Program Port" while I was troubleshooting earlier, but I assumed it was just some harmless leftover stuff from Arduino... and thus completely ignored it.

But that doesn't quite fix the problem: I located oem11.inf, but I don't have a file named oem42.inf in the same directory. I have no clue where my Arduino driver is located, and I don't know how to manually locate and remove USB\VID_03EB&PID_6124. If I uninstall Arduino will it automatically remove the drivers? Otherwise, I'm still stuck.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 pm
Guru

No, no, no. oem11.inf and oem42.inf are specific to my machine. Every time you installed a 3rd party device, Windows would copy the device's INF and renamed it with the next available number. So it would be different on your machine. The trick is to identify and remove the Arduino's INF (at least temporarily) so that the NXT Firmware update driver will be installed. This allows RobotC to see the brick and proceed with the firmware update. However, after that you will not be able to talk to your Arduino because when you plug in the Arduino, the NXT firmware update driver will be loaded and it will not understand the upload request from the Arduino IDE. In summary, to make NXT firmware update work, you will break the communication with the Arduino unless you "restore" the Bossa Program Port device after NXT firmware update is done. So there are two steps involved. Removing the Bossa Program Port and installing the NXT firmware update driver. Then restoring the Bossa Program port.

There are two options: option A is probably better for people who are NOT comfortable with playing with Windows system files and dealing with device manager. Option B is more advanced but probably slightly faster if you are updating NXT firmware a lot and need to do this over and over again.

Option A:
1. Make sure the NXT brick is disconnected.
2. Open Control Panel/Program and Features.
3. Find the "Arduino" entry. Double click it to uninstall the Arduino IDE.
4. After uninstall is done, plug in the NXT brick. The correct NXT firmware update driver would be installed.
5. Open RobotC and do the firmware update.
6. After the firmware update is done, if you still want Arduino IDE to work, reinstall the Arudino IDE.

Option B:
1. Make sure the NXT brick is still connected to the computer.
2. Open an elevated CMD.
3. Type "cd c:\Windows\inf"
4. Type "findstr Bossa *.inf"
5. Note the INF file name in the form of oemxx.inf
6. Type "rename oemxx.inf oemxx.inf.bak" (Note: please substitute xx with the actual number reported by findstr)
7. Open Control Panel/Device Manager.
8. Find the Bossa Program Port device.
9. Right click the device and select "Uninstall".
10. Disconnect the NXT brick from the computer, wait a few seconds.
11. Reconnect the NXT brick to the computer and wait a minute or two for the system to find and install the correct NXT firmware update driver for it.
12. Open RobotC and proceed with the firmware update.
13. After the firmware update is done, go back to the CMD and type "rename oemxx.inf.bak oemxx.inf" (Again please substitute xx correspondingly).

That's it.
Caveat, I listed all the steps by memory so I hope I did not miss any steps.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm
Rookie

Thank you sooooo much. If I could, I'd give you a big hug and a million dollars right now. Thank you.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 pm
Guru

Sure. I could use a million dollars :bigthumb:

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:22 pm
Rookie

Our FTC Team found a fairly reliable fix.

1. Plug in clicking nxt to computer
2. Disable internet connection(very important)
3. Open Device manager
4. Under ports you should see Bossa program port, right click on it
5. uninstall driver, on popup make sure to select delete from system
6. after uninstalling driver plug nxt into another port
7. Because bossa driver is missing it should register as nxt brick
8. Now you can reload Robotc firmware
9. After firware installed reconnect internet

This solution works because when your nxt enters this clicking mode windows registers it as bossa program port not nxt mindstorm brick. Until you fully delete the drivers for bossa and disconnect from the internet so the drivers don't re download it will continue to assign bossa program port to your nxt which prevents RobotC from identifying the nxt brick.

Hope this helps!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]