View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
RobotC and ER4U arm/Robocell 
Rookie

Post RobotC and ER4U arm/Robocell
Not sure if any of you have experience handshaking between VEX and an Intelitek ER4U. I am trying to run my VEX program started by a signal from the ER4U. I have a breadboard set up with an optoisolator to protect each circuit but I am unsure of how to incorporate the signal from the robot controller into VEX. I had it set up as a touch sensor so the robot should act as that, but RobotC doesn't see the the signal for some reason, meaning the value does not change when the program is running when looking down in the "sensors" dialog box after the output signal has been sent from the robot controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 am
Rookie

Post Re: RobotC and ER4U arm/Robocell
I have done this before, so it is definitely possible. (I am a CIM MT for PLTW, and I assume you are teaching CIM if you are using this equipment!) If I remember correctly, I used the variable outputs from the ER4U controller to output the 5V to the optical isolator. I forget the maximum output voltage you can get from the variable port, but you have to do the math to insert the right number into your RoboCell program. (test the voltage with a multimeter until you get 5V.) Use the same handshaking circuit as usual. Leaving the handshaking circuit, you should connect to a VEX digital input port, and simply put untilTouch(dgtl#); to look for the signal. To troubleshoot your handshaking circuit, you can replace the 220 Ohm resistor with an LED. The LED will illuminate if you have voltage coming into the optical isolator. Just remember that LED's have polarity!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:50 pm
Rookie

Post Re: RobotC and ER4U arm/Robocell
I have had good luck with opto isolators with VEX inputs and outputs. Please post a schematic of what you are doing.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]